SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on removing oil pan drain plug? Seized worse than I have ever seen. Now beginning to strip. I have changed oil twice by dropping the sensor, but would prefer to do it the correct way. Already have a replacement plug.

·
Registered
438 Posts
can you take the pan off? All the way off? if so, take it off and drill it out. Possibly replace with a Fumoto.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I'd drop the pan and get a new pan. It's not worth the effort to drill it out IMHO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have thought of this as well. Back in the day when I was in mechanic school, we would pound a metric over a standard and chuck the socket and plug in the trash. But, not in this case. See what I can come up with. Probably a new pan.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah - i'm sure someone on here has a spare pan. Like doughy.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
What?
Get these out with nice and sharp teeth:

Close it as hard as possible. A chisel and hammer can also do wonders.
I've seen plenty of seized drain plugs over the years. Always worked

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll holler. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What?
Get these out with nice and sharp teeth:

Close it as hard as possible. A chisel and hammer can also do wonders.
I've seen plenty of seized drain plugs over the years. Always worked
Haha, don't think I haven't tried. I may give it another go.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hit it with an impact if it's not to stripped. Just for a split second though.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd definitely apply some heat that always helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Chances are his plug was cross threaded by some ahole with an impact gun.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm not saying to ever use an impact on a normal oil change. Actually I teach against it with the techs I train. But a little zip to brake it loose can help alot.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The hex is stripping? What tool are you using on it? Try a good 6 point socket instead of things that are looser or have smaller contact patches. Getting the right bite on it can make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
6 point socket on half inch impact and be ready for a mess lol. Or you could use an air hammer with a chisel bit to break it loose. Worse comes to worse, take it to a professional if you do not feel comfortable and before it gets any worse. There is a reason technicians spend thousands of dollars on high quality tools.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The threads on our pans are the same as our park plugs, 14mm. You could use a spark plug as a drain plug, or an oxygen sensor for that matter if you needed a temporary one.
This also means that thread repair kits are readily available.

Get the old one out any way you can. This could include welding a nut to it if you access to a mig welder.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Take off oil pan, take oil pan to machine shop that knows what they are doing. Taking the oil pan off is pretty easy.

My local shop charges like $25-35 and they have gotten some badly rounded off stuff. At this point it's cheaper to pay them to get broken off fasteners out vs me wasting a bunch of money on easy outs, reverse drill bits, carbide bits for the dremmel ect.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you don't want to take off the oil pan - break-out the dremel (or small angle grinder) with a cut-off wheel - and do this....

By cutting some meaty flats you will have enough surface to get some decent leverage.

Be careful with impact wrenches as others have done this:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts