SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Dr. Color Chip? I just wondered if it does a pretty good job of blending and hiding deep scratches? This one I mentioned in an earlier thread is way past the clearcoat.

SCRATCH.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
As the name implies, Dr. Color Chip is really only well served to fill in small bumper chips, not long scratches unfortunately.

You should be able to easily fill that scratch with Volvo Touch Up paint and clearcoat.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I bought the Volvo touch-up paint for my Osmium Grey Metallic on Amazon (for some reason, it was really hard to find elsewhere) and found that it works pretty well. I recommend.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Has anyone ever used Dr. Color Chip? I just wondered if it does a pretty good job of blending and hiding deep scratches? This one I mentioned in an earlier thread is way past the clearcoat.

View attachment 53367
I've used it on my C70. I've noticed that it does not adhere to the paint as well as the volvo touchup paint, but it does a decent job for covering up and blending in small rock chips etc. Its very time intensive if you have a beat up hood.
Would not recommend for a long scratches. You're better off getting a mobile paint guy to do those types of repairs.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the Volvo touch-up paint for my Osmium Grey Metallic on Amazon (for some reason, it was really hard to find elsewhere) and found that it works pretty well. I recommend.
I'm not a fan of the Volvo Touch Up Paint. While it adheres and looks ok for a few days, even using the clear coat, it just comes right off. I've tried cleaning areas with alcohol and making sure there is no dirt / grime. But sadly, for saville gray meticallic, I'm not too thrilled with the stuff.

Was hoping Dr. Colorship would offer a permanent solution cause the videos online of people repairing areas looks very good.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used it on my C70. I've noticed that it does not adhere to the paint as well as the volvo touchup paint, but it does a decent job for covering up and blending in small rock chips etc. Its very time intensive if you have a beat up hood.
Would not recommend for a long scratches. You're better off getting a mobile paint guy to do those types of repairs.
Hmmm... Ya I've seen great videos online over rock chips. But they also advertise for bumper rash and deep scratches. So does the paint + curing solution not make the repair long lasting? Does the stuff come off the vehicle over time and not look good or fail to adhere?

I assume you followed the directions.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Volvo Touch Up Paint. While it adheres and looks ok for a few days, even using the clear coat, it just comes right off. I've tried cleaning areas with alcohol and making sure there is no dirt / grime. But sadly, for saville gray meticallic, I'm not too thrilled with the stuff.

Was hoping Dr. Colorship would offer a permanent solution cause the videos online of people repairing areas looks very good.
It is paint, it will not come off unless you misapplied it.

Speaking from personal experience.

This was a much more difficult repair than your scratch since it took more finesse to apply and let dry. I found it easier to dab the paint in the areas and let cure before I tried doing any "over-paint" removal since it had difficult adhering and since there was no real depth to the rubbed areas and the existing paint. However, with the clear coat on, it's basically a complete fix.

Doing your scratch will be much, much easier, as there is a clear depth profile between the top of the clear coat and the primer. Once you apply the color in the cavity, the wet sponge will not be able to pull the color out of the depth of the scratch.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is paint, it will not come off unless you misapplied it.

Speaking from personal experience.

This was a much more difficult repair than your scratch since it took more finesse to apply and let dry. I found it easier to dab the paint in the areas and let cure before I tried doing any "over-paint" removal since it had difficult adhering and since there was no real depth to the rubbed areas and the existing paint. However, with the clear coat on, it's basically a complete fix.

Doing your scratch will be much, much easier, as there is a clear depth profile between the top of the clear coat and the primer. Once you apply the color in the cavity, the wet sponge will not be able to pull the color out of the depth of the scratch.
I found that the paint came off over time with washing the car, waxing, etc. That the paints durability was lacking. It "stuck fine" short term.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This has been on for several months with no issues. One rock chip on my hood has been sealed for over a year.

Are you sure you applied it right?

Did you use the clear coat? The paint itself is meant to be sandable and will rub off. The clear is what seals it in place.

I even had to go buy M105 to be able to polish down the touch up clear coat because my own polish wasn't cutting it (pun intended).

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This has been on for several months with no issues. One rock chip on my hood has been sealed for over a year.

Are you sure you applied it right?

Did you use the clear coat? The paint itself is meant to be sandable and will rub off. The clear is what seals it in place.

I even had to go buy M105 to be able to polish down the touch up clear coat because my own polish wasn't cutting it (pun intended).
The touch up paint does "OK" on rock chips and indentations but now so well on scratches. I usually clean area with alcohol and then apply. But over time I notice it comes off after washing car etc. Even with clear coat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts