SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dr. Color Chip Paint Kit in Rebel Blue (619) - Good match to OEM paint color wise?

Noticed a few minor paint chips on my car which I would like to fill in and protect. I have previously used Dr. Color Chip on a black Volvo years ago.
Before I spend the money to get the Dr. Color Chip paint kit (color code 619) for my 2018 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar I wanted to know if anyone here has tried Dr. Color Chip in Rebel Blue and how well the color matches the original paint.

If the color doesn't match well, I'll try a paint pen (from another company) instead. If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Which version of black did you have? I have an ember black 2011 S60 T6 and was considering Dr. Color Chip myself. I’m interested in hearing about other peoples’ experiences around touchup paint options, especially around tricky colors like ours. Subscribing with interest.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which version of black did you have? I have an ember black 2011 S60 T6 and was considering Dr. Color Chip myself. I’m interested in hearing about other peoples’ experiences around touchup paint options, especially around tricky colors like ours. Subscribing with interest.
It must have been the '019' black paint. I believe it worked reasonably well and did not want to mess around with traditional touch up paint (was concerned about getting a smooth finish).
Likewise, now with my 2018 S60 Rebel Blue, I am considering taking the same Dr. Color Chip route for the same reason as before - obtaining a smooth finish of any touched up area(s).

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2016 S60P* RB that had a small chip in the hood near the front. I used Dr. Color Chip to fill in since it was to the primer. Color match was excellent. You can still see a very slight dimple, but no difference in color. Car had a clear mask put on after the touch up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2016 S60P* RB that had a small chip in the hood near the front. I used Dr. Color Chip to fill in since it was to the primer. Color match was excellent. You can still see a very slight dimple, but no difference in color. Car had a clear mask put on after the touch up.
Great, thanks. I ordered the Dr Color Chip kit a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Just curious - why didn't you get Volvo touch up paint? I bought some for my rebel blue S60 and it's perfect.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious - why didn't you get Volvo touch up paint? I bought some for my rebel blue S60 and it's perfect.
I was about to buy Volvo touch up paint but it was out of stock at the dealer. I could have ordered it at the dealer I visited to pick up engine oil, but since they are not that close decided to wait.
I then read a post in one of the forums here stating the quality wasn't that good (will try to find the link).

Based on the above I started to look into alternative paint suppliers who specialize in touch up paints; I had not yet found an alternate supplier yet (I wanted to research brands and reviews etc.) when I remembered Dr. Color Chip, for me, was easier to apply than touch up paint in terms of getting smooth results than a touch up stick, those with a brush at least.

I think I was perhaps also confusing some touch up sticks (which have a brush) with a touch up 'pen' which I saw has a tip like a felt tip pen, but some people may be using the terms interchangeably which no doubt contributed to my mixing the two up in my mind. I would be happy to try one with a pen if need be.
I already ordered Dr. Color Chip and based on the post above and also my own experience with it on a prior car, I am confident it will work well for me. It not, I will simply look for a touch up pen with a tip instead of a brush. I am not confident I would do a good job with a brush.

But hopefully the Volvo paint will work well for you. Keep us posted.
I will also post my results here, good or bad.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I was about to buy Volvo touch up paint but it was out of stock at the dealer. I could have ordered it at the dealer I visited to pick up engine oil, but since they are not that close decided to wait.
I then read a post in one of the forums here stating the quality wasn't that good (will try to find the link).

Based on the above I started to look into alternative paint suppliers who specialize in touch up paints; I had not yet found an alternate supplier yet (I wanted to research brands and reviews etc.) when I remembered Dr. Color Chip, for me, was easier to apply than touch up paint in terms of getting smooth results than a touch up stick, those with a brush at least.

I think I was perhaps also confusing some touch up sticks (which have a brush) with a touch up 'pen' which I saw has a tip like a felt tip pen, but some people may be using the terms interchangeably which no doubt contributed to my mixing the two up in my mind. I would be happy to try one with a pen if need be.
I already ordered Dr. Color Chip and based on the post above and also my own experience with it on a prior car, I am confident it will work well for me. It not, I will simply look for a touch up pen with a tip instead of a brush. I am not confident I would do a good job with a brush.

But hopefully the Volvo paint will work well for you. Keep us posted.
I will also post my results here, good or bad.

Understood! The Volvo paint has held up very well on my car (2+ years) for the few tiny rock chips I had to fix.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood! The Volvo paint has held up very well on my car (2+ years) for the few tiny rock chips I had to fix.
Great, glad to hear that! If for some reason I am not satisfied with the Dr. Color Chip results I know what to use next then! Yours has a marker-like tip or a brush at the end?
The few chips mine has are also small, luckily.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Great, glad to hear that! If for some reason I am not satisfied with the Dr. Color Chip results I know what to use next then! Yours has a marker-like tip or a brush at the end?
The few chips mine has are also small, luckily.
The Volvo paint has a brush at the end. I use the tiniest amount possible and just touch the spots. Works great for little chips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts