SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time post here. I just installed a new downpipe but its flange does not line up with the bolt on the exhaust. My plan is to take it to a muffler shop, have them cut the exhaust, bolt the flanges together and weld the exhaust together.

Do anyone have any good recommendations on where I can get this done in Chicago. Can I take it to my usual mechanic, or do I need to take this to a muffler/exhaust shop?

Can anyone think of a better solution altogether?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I would take it to an exhaust specialty jawn

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What brand are these? Is it the bolt holes that do not match? Are you using a clamp to get it together? Are you using the stock exhaust with your DP?

When I installed mine I thought that the DP was not going to fit the rest of the exhaust at first but after I held things together better and tight things down it seemed to fit just right. So you should double check...

Take a few shot maybe we can help more that way...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using an Elevate downpipe and connecting it to the stock exhaust. Yes, one of the two bolt holes do not match, it's close but no cigar. It's perfect at the turbo outlet, perfect at the hanging rubber girdles. I even unmounted the entire exhaust to get more wiggle room and bolted the flanges together but then the exhaust was completely twisted. I tried moving things around for several hours but no luck. At this point, I'm going to just hit the muffler shop and have them cut and weld and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm using an Elevate downpipe and connecting it to the stock exhaust. Yes, one of the two bolt holes do not match, it's close but no cigar. It's perfect at the turbo outlet, perfect at the hanging rubber girdles. I even unmounted the entire exhaust to get more wiggle room and bolted the flanges together but then the exhaust was completely twisted. I tried moving things around for several hours but no luck. At this point, I'm going to just hit the muffler shop and have them cut and weld and be done with it.
Shame to have to spend more money after allready have spent quite some... hopefully this will do the trick for you.
I wonder if it's a difference from the stock. I installed both dp and exhaust upgrade together and all came allright...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the DP and exhaust from elevate fit perfectly. But I'm apparently not the first to run into problems when combining elevate DP with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I heard the DP and exhaust from elevate fit perfectly. But I'm apparently not the first to run into problems when combining elevate DP with the stock exhaust.
there's your problem. you bought stuff from elevate! ahaha. what i would do is cut that part out and reweld it on so it would fit with the stock pipe. is don refusing to help you?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The DP from Viva I got was in two parts with a clamp in the middle. This was great as it allowed rotation of the flange component once the Turbo flange was bolted.
Other than shipping convenience I didn't understand the use of the two piece (more expensive to manufactured + parts) until NOW! . . . Though the flange was on a separate piece too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there's your problem. you bought stuff from elevate! ahaha. what i would do is cut that part out and reweld it on so it would fit with the stock pipe. is don refusing to help you?
Haha... I can laugh about it now that it's all done. I did the install over the weekend and while he did reply to one email over the weekend asking for a picture, I didn't hear back from him until I emailed him back monday afternoon telling him what I did to fix it. Of course once it was resolved, he replied immediately. He said they are closed over weekends and have a log of emails so that's why he didn't get back to me.... whatevz... it's done now. To his credit, he did comp me the cost of the weld since this DP was supposed to be bolt on when it clearly wasn't. He doesn't know why this could have been and said lots are installed with no problems.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
To his credit, he did comp me the cost of the weld since this DP was supposed to be bolt on when it clearly wasn't. He doesn't know why this could have been and said lots are installed with no problems.
i know why, he doesn't look at each downpipe before he ships them. from the old threads on c30world, what i got from him was that he has a local "unknown" exhaust shop make it for him and then either he or they send it out. so not every single one is bound to be the same.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The DP from Viva I got was in two parts with a clamp in the middle. This was great as it allowed rotation of the flange component once the Turbo flange was bolted.
Other than shipping convenience I didn't understand the use of the two piece (more expensive to manufactured + parts) until NOW! . . . Though the flange was on a separate piece too...

so this is the atp downpipe. i just bought the ferrita from george and it's all 1 piece.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I'm confused that's the Elevate DP pictures above? Looks identical to ATP...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I'm confused that's the Elevate DP pictures above? Looks identical to ATP...
No that's the ATP. Elevate has a bigger cat

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts