SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all,

I am probably looking to do the opposite of a lot of owners here--considering replacing the 18" wheels on our 2012 XC70 T6 for 17" or 16". Is this possible?

Here's the backstory--and maybe there is another solution--so I am all ears.

We live on a gravel forest road and our daily commute includes about 6 miles of dirt/gravel. The road maintenance is mediocre, resulting in gravel/rocks/limbs/potholes/etc. usually ending our tires' lives prematurely. I am growing weary of replacing tires so often, and usually having to change a flat in our gravel driveway. So far, I have not found a suitably durable tire in the stock size, so I am considering smaller diameter wheels to open up more tire options.

Heck, at this point, I'd put BFG AT KO2s on it if I could!

So, if anyone has advice on either fitting smaller diameter wheels or more durable tires for the stock 18" wheels, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify--I am not looking to decrease the overall tire diameter--I am curious about decreasing the wheel diameter while retaining the same overall tire diameter to gain more sidewall and increase tire options. While ensuring there is no brake caliper/rotor clearance issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wheels for '98 Volvo V70 XC

XC70 stock wheel balance is 43-45mm for 16'' and 49mm for 17'',V50 balance is 50mm for 17'' and 52.5mm for 16''.The perfect balance blunder is +-5mm,So in the event that you wheel counterbalance is in good with it.You can utilize it.For tire size change,You can utilize tire number cruncher to check whether they are good.

·
Registered
196 Posts
17" wheels should not be a problem, as they were offered from the factory on the XC70. Not sure about brake clearance on 16s though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts