SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

New to forum and first post.

I will soon be taking possession of a 2019 V60 CC and want to know if it is possible to fit 17” winter rims and tires. Living in Canada I always run separate winter tires on dedicated rims to protect the summer rims from damage and the 20” rims on this vehicle are no exception. The dealerships I have spoken to say they only have an 18” winter package for this vehicle available.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There are limitations from Volvo as to what they supply as you don’t need a selection for a winter tire. Normally a thicker side wall is recommended for winter as well as reducing the width of the tire. However this are not that twice tires and running an OEM size tire is perfect fine.

As for the rim size you need something that would clear the brakes you need to find out what’s the minimum ID of the rim drum should be.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not that it applies to you but it seems that 2019 S60 T6 (R-Design if it matters) minimum size is 18" and that does not leave a lot of room.

Krzys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front Brakes need 18“ rims, make sure to use a official tire size, because of all the driving assistance systems, like parking pilot and so on.
The official winter wheel set is 215/55R18, which would be fine in heavy winter conditions.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I downsized to 18’s for my winter tires- found 4 new “takeoff” rims on eBay from a 2019 S60.

I don’t know if you can tell from this pic, but the 18’s are just big enough to fit around the brakes; can’t go any smaller.

Also, I was experiencing shaking above 65mph with my original 19” rims. The shaking is completely gone with my new tires and rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I downsized to 18’s for my winter tires- found 4 new “takeoff” rims on eBay from a 2019 S60.

I don’t know if you can tell from this pic, but the 18’s are just big enough to fit around the brakes; can’t go any smaller.

Also, I was experiencing shaking above 65mph with my original 19” rims. The shaking is completely gone with my new tires and rims.

They look like great winter rims. Are those Xice Xi3 Michelin tires? That’s the dealer here packages (size 215/55/18) with 18” winter rims.

Too bad about the shaking. Sounds like possible suboptimal balancing of the rims (used to also happen to me with ice buildup inside the wheel in particularly cold and snowy winters here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They look like great winter rims. Are those Xice Xi3 Michelin tires? That’s the dealer here packages (size 215/55/18) with 18” winter rims.

Too bad about the shaking. Sounds like possible suboptimal balancing of the rims (used to also happen to me with ice buildup inside the wheel in particularly cold and snowy winters here.
Yes they are the Michelin Xice Xi3 tires, but they’re the 235/45/18 size. I bought the tires from Costco and just used their sizing guide- it listed them as OEM for this car. My dealer also has a package they sell with these same tires, but they come with steel wheels and cost quite a bit more than what I was able to get all this for.

I’m at a complete loss with the shaking of the 19’s. They replaced the tires 3x, did a ton of road force balancing, then replaced the rims (and tires again). After the rim replacement I got almost a week of shake-free driving before it slowly came back. I was thinking there was something mechanically wrong with the car itself until I put these new tires/wheels on and it went away.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
There's good reason the inscription comes with 18", by far a more comfortable ride! Love mine, I actually sought out a spec with the 18" and not larger. Cheaper tires too.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Was the shaking above 65 ALWAYS apparent or did it take some mileage / tire wear to come up? Also what is a “takeoff” rim?
I’m interested in downsizing in general for better ride and comfort. Only thing I don’t like about the S60 R Design is the ride which I suspect is due to the 19” wheels. Well... there is the weather stripping issue but that’s a different thread

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was the shaking above 65 ALWAYS apparent or did it take some mileage / tire wear to come up? Also what is a “takeoff” rim?
I’m interested in downsizing in general for better ride and comfort. Only thing I don’t like about the S60 R Design is the ride which I suspect is due to the 19” wheels. Well... there is the weather stripping issue but that’s a different thread
ALWAYS. As is since the day I drove it home. (The dealership I got it from isn’t located near any major freeways so I only got it up to 50/55 during the test drive l, so I didn’t notice until after I had signed for the car unfortunately.

I think the car definitely rides much smoother with the 18’s and the larger sidewalls, and I don’t notice all that much of a deterioration with handling or cornering.

I definitely didn’t seek out the 19’s, but they were on the car I liked so I just went with it. Looking back I wish I had asked the dealer to switch them to 18’s or found a different car.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Was the shaking upon braking?

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, just cruising. You can feel it in the wheel, seats, pedals. It was so bad as first it was causing the HUD to appear fuzzy from the vibrations. Now it’s more like a pulsation that gets more pronounced as the speed increases.

After the rims were replaced and the tires were road force balanced for probably the 5th time, the car was smooth on the 19’s for a few days, but then it slowly returned. Every time I’d return to the dealer they would tell me my tires were out of balance again- even though they had just been re-balanced.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Anyone know if the older center caps still work with 2019+ models wheels? Should work as they are 2.5" right?
I am planning on prancing moose stickers for Winters, so need a flat cap Screenshot_20191120-221903~2.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, just cruising. You can feel it in the wheel, seats, pedals. It was so bad as first it was causing the HUD to appear fuzzy from the vibrations. Now it’s more like a pulsation that gets more pronounced as the speed increases.

After the rims were replaced and the tires were road force balanced for probably the 5th time, the car was smooth on the 19’s for a few days, but then it slowly returned. Every time I’d return to the dealer they would tell me my tires were out of balance again- even though they had just been re-balanced.

It’s like Groundhog Day with these 19” pirelli p/zeros. The dealer just re-road force balanced them for probably the 6th time and said they’re now within spec. They don’t seem to care that after a couple days of driving they go out of spec. Volvo is refusing to replace them with a different brand, so it looks like I’ll be spending my own money to replace the tires so that I can drive above 65 without shaking- this is disappointing Volvo!

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Yes they are the Michelin Xice Xi3 tires, but they’re the 235/45/18 size. I bought the tires from Costco and just used their sizing guide- it listed them as OEM for this car. My dealer also has a package they sell with these same tires, but they come with steel wheels and cost quite a bit more than what I was able to get all this for.

I’m at a complete loss with the shaking of the 19’s. They replaced the tires 3x, did a ton of road force balancing, then replaced the rims (and tires again). After the rim replacement I got almost a week of shake-free driving before it slowly came back. I was thinking there was something mechanically wrong with the car itself until I put these new tires/wheels on and it went away.

I'm surprised that they called that the correct size. A direct match for 235/45R19 would be 235/50R18 or 215/55/R18. Have you seen any issues with pilot assist or adaptive cruise with circumference/rev per mile change? Still trying to decide on the 235 or 215 for my winder Haka setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm surprised that they called that the correct size. A direct match for 235/45R19 would be 235/50R18 or 215/55/R18. Have you seen any issues with pilot assist or adaptive cruise with circumference/rev per mile change? Still trying to decide on the 235 or 215 for my winder Haka setup.
Keep in mind dpothier has a S60 that uses a different tire size than a V60 CC. 215/55R18 is what's recommended for the CC, while 235/45R18 is for the S60/V60 (non CC).

Reference

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have the same issue (mild [email protected] mph) with the 19" Pirelli tires installed on my car. They have foam mounted inside the tire which start loosening up inside, which throws off the balance. The dealer removed the foam, and re-balanced the tires which made it much better. Looking to replace these with Michelin or the new Goodyear Exhilarate HP AS tires. A few other forum members have had the same issue with these 19" Pirelli's from what I recall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts