SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can get a obx downpipe? I can't afford a elevate or ipd downpipe so i am looking for one less expensive.
I would appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Obx is junk any way the gauge is so thin. Try races60r eBay downpipe ...medium priced and good quality I had it on my last R

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Love how when OBX gets brought up, an immediate battle between proponents and opponents ensues.

He lives in Tampa, pretty sure it will last a lifetime. Even of the guys using them up North, I know they tarnish but they function just fine. Fitment of course has been an issue for some. Not perfect, but you can make them fit and not pay a fortune if the no cat thing works for your state/county

You can search and find multiple recent threads about OBX pipes being in low (or no) supply. I don't think you will find one new.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The whole OBX argument is kind of purposeless these days anyway, since they've been out of regular production for awhile and nobody actually has them. I must've tried to order from 4 or 5 different sites, then tried to pick one up as part of a turboback kit from ebay seller racingpartsdepot, thinking I could get the pipe, offload the catback at a loss, and have a cat welded in and still end up with a $300-$400 downpipe: first they sent me a kit with no downpipe, then sent me a kit with a FWD downpipe. Tried to weasel out of a return/exchange both times, requiring threats of opening paypal disputes. Terrible experience, would never recommend that seller for anything.

Ended up going with a RaceS60R downpipe, which I ordered last monday (a holiday), and had built and shipped by the weekend. Ought to show up in a day or two.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
sorry to jack the the thread but. where in tampa are you? im in tampa too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I blew my obx downpipe to smitherines. Didn't rusted out the weld cracked and let go at the flange

·
Registered
940 Posts
I blew the flex joint on an obx downpipe I had on my 850. Although I haven't had a single issue with the downpipe on my s60 t5 which has 30k miles on it. And I live in Connecticut. And I don't clean the underside of my car as frequently as I should.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say order a phuzzy one, but you know how that goes :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I don't clean the underside of my car as frequently as I should.
I kno. That thing is crazy dirty all the time. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I live in South Tampa. I met you at the meet at Quaker Steak last year. I had the red one with no mods done yet.
Ah I remember. sometimes i wish i had a red one. we need to organize another meet again! and im on the same boat as you trying to find a cheaper DP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/obx-1118.html

This is where I purchased my OBX cat less down pipe four years ago. I had to trim a bit off the mounting post during the install but no other installation problems. Also, I've had zero problems with corrosion and I live on the beach. Make sure you go back and re-tighten the DP bolts after install and re-check again. My thought is if you are going to take it somewhere to weld a cat you're probably better off just having the entire thing fabricated. That way you can have it built the exact way you want it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
SparkTec has no stock, loads and loads of us (including me) have ordered only to have our orders cancelled a day or two later, haha.

·
Registered
675 Posts
We should maybe set a race s60r downpipe group buy. I need a downpipe for my new R

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm in.

GLM409

·
Registered
870 Posts
^ this would be very useful if I hadn't already ordered one, lmao.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I know a guy with an IPD one he might sell

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I browse the forums often and I have not heard of a single person report in the last 6 months that they successfully got their hands on a new OBX. I would lose hope that they just aren't manufactured at all anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts