SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into replacing my downpipe soon and I wanted to know people's opinions on different brands. IPD's really caught my attention but I know there are others like elevate and OBX. I DO NOT want a catless downpipe. I have a MKIV VR6 that I'm running without a cat and I hate it. I also live in jersey where it's illegal to drive without a cat so I'm looking to pass emissions and not get a huge fine. So what are your opinions on R downpipes?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a Phuz DP. I would get an o2 spacer just in case your CEL comes on. My only complaint is that the paint is slowly burning off so you get a slight smell once and a while.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I have seen a couple of Phuz pipes with poor welds, but it is pretty cheap. Personally, I have an EST pipe that I had ceramic coated. You ask 5 people, you'll get 5 different answers. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Depends on if money matters. If it doesnt then get a downpipe from whoever you want, elevate, IPD, Phuz, TME etc. If you want one that will likely perform just as well and cost half as much search on ebay. There are now obx downpipes with a cat for $299 last i checked.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if the IPD downpipe is 3" or 3.5"? I know the elevate one is 3.5"

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
CNT racing downpipe. It is basically an OBX with a cat welded in. The fit was perfect and all the welds looked great to me. Best part is it's only $250 shipped!

·
Registered
234 Posts
OOooo!...since we are on the subject about downpipes... i was going to ask, Since I live in California, its required that keep our OEM cat converters because they are OBDII certified...would it be possible to buy a Catless OBX DP and then take it to a shop so that they can cut the OEM cat converter from the original DP and weld it onto the new OBX DP?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OOooo!...since we are on the subject about downpipes... i was going to ask, Since I live in California, its required that keep our OEM cat converters because they are OBDII certified...would it be possible to buy a Catless OBX DP and then take it to a shop so that they can cut the OEM cat converter from the original DP and weld it onto the new OBX DP?
You probably could. I was actually going to do this if the o2 spacer I bought didn't get rid of my CEL, but since it did remove the light I ended up not doing that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok...excellent...i think i just might do that then...!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It seems like it may be worth it to spend the extra money to go with IPD
If you have the money to spend on it, go for it. I, like many others can't justify to spend almost $900 on just the down pipe though. It's your car and money, so do it how you want it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea 900 isn't a very attractive number, but if it saves me from messing with O2 spacers and CEL's until I get it right than maybe ill have to save up for it. Luckily I still live at home with my parents so I don't have rent to pay

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
There's no promise that iPd will not require an O2 sensor, heck, I'm guessing that if 10 people changed their DP with stock OE DP's that its possible that a CEL might come up - just happens.

If you look at the design of the cheap, generic piping of the OBX or CNX (same thing, CNX has a high flow cat in it) there's no harsh bends, 3" all the way, thick flanges, etc - there's really no difference! IMO ofcourse. The only REAL difference is product quality (thickness of the metal used and welds which come to play in corrosion in salty areas... maybe) and which catalytic was used. If you buy the 250 shipped DP with high flow cat and you don't like the weld, go to a muffler shop and ask them to grind down and reweld and pay them the $50 they will probably charge, still, you're 400$ richer... A high flow cat is a high flow cat, it may or may not require an O2 extension.

Mine is custom, 314SS 3" mandrel bent tubing, magnaflow high flow cat, no O2 extensions used at all... did I get lucky, maybe.

If you still don't know, go custom...

Now, I own a lot of iPd's products, I love the company personally, and I don't pinch a lot of pennies - I just do what fits my budget and what makes sense. I dumped a lot of money into my car but I didn't waste a lot of money buying expensive parts for same quality because it was branded.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dude it's a bent 3" pipe with a flex joint in the middle... I'm stunned that someone would even consider buying a $900 4ft pipe. Save some money and get the OBX. It costs $150 and fits perfect. I bought an anti fouler on amazon for $6.27 to space out the o2 sensor and no more check engine light.

Go with a magnaflow high flow cat if you really want one. Just keep your OEM dp in the garage for when you have to go back for emissions.

If your worried about quality, you shouldn't be. My dp had excellent welds. It's been on for about a year now and it still looks mint.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
CNT racing downpipe. It is basically an OBX with a cat welded in. The fit was perfect and all the welds looked great to me. Best part is it's only $250 shipped!
Must second this! No CEL's with the DP, but I'm running the IPD spacer as well. Love my CNT so far. And it makes your exhaust note deeper :D

1 - 20 of 137 Posts