SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a little back ground on what was done. I had a performance exhaust shop put on my CNT Racing Down pipe on Monday last week. Car ran great for about a day and a half.
A day or so later my front Inter cooler air charge hose popped off the inter cooler. I suspect they removed it to get access to the bolts on the top of the Down pipe at the flange and when they put it back on did not tighten it properly.
I had to drive it home about 2 miles with the hose off since I did not have any tools with me. When I got home I put it back on and tightened the clamp up.
The next day when I was going to work I noticed the car was only getting 10 pounds of boost and feeling very slow. I have since removed the hose and inspected it. I did find a small hole (pin size) hole in the charge hose where it mates with the hard intake charge pipe that goes over the motor. I also grounded the battery cables to reset the computer and that cleared the code for a little while, maybe 20-25 miles.

Also I am getting a catalyst below efficiency code as well, that started when all this happened. Could I have caused some issues driving it with the charge hose off? Also could a bad trailing O2 sensor cause a loss of boost assuming it is not coming from the small hole in the Air charge hose.

I was looking at ordering this silicone charge hose, anybody had any experience good or bad with this hose as far as it fitting. Also the car is a 2004 S60 R with 50,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/silicone-intercooler-hose-kit-s60-v70-s80-turbo

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Chris,

I appreciate the amount of information you have given us to work off of however if you would please create a signature outlining your car, basic mileage, and mods it would be best for troubleshooting scenarios as many problems run through different model years and so fourth.

As for the Catalyst efficiency code...It is correct your CAT isn't working up to the full potential of the ORIGINAL OEM equipment being HighFlow.

You will need to place in an O2 Extension...Many of which you can find on Ebay for no more than $15 Shipped.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I'm guessing when the hosed popped off the ECU went crazy adjusting itself; double check you've tighten all clamps/hoses and either disconnect your battery for 30 minutes (or disconnect + and - then go try to start car to purge any residual current, wait 5 min, then reconnect) to reset the ECU to relearn.

Secondly, I don't know of any reason to disconnect the hose or piping from FMIC to get to the DP bolts, all bolts are easily accessible from under the car (with heat shield removed temporarily, put it back when done).

Also, if you're going to order an O2 spacer extension, look for an angled one, preferably a 90 degree.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I got my 90 degree from 034motorsports, it uses a banjo style bolt and an alloy piece.. works awesome

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
SPC, from what i saw in your post you dont have the cat anymore is that correct?. Well if thats the point, you just need to throw the O2 extension so you can avoid cel and ecu adjustments.

Like tuscani told you , remove the negative terminal of your battery and wait 20-30 min so you can reset the actual readings of the ECU and enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing when the hosed popped off the ECU went crazy adjusting itself; double check you've tighten all clamps/hoses and either disconnect your battery for 30 minutes (or disconnect + and - then go try to start car to purge any residual current, wait 5 min, then reconnect) to reset the ECU to relearn.

Secondly, I don't know of any reason to disconnect the hose or piping from FMIC to get to the DP bolts, all bolts are easily accessible from under the car (with heat shield removed temporarily, put it back when done).

Also, if you're going to order an O2 spacer extension, look for an angled one, preferably a 90 degree.
I am just assuming they removed that but not really sure. Kind of strange it popped off the day after the down pipe was put on and it has never given me any stress in 3 years of owning the car.

Thanks for the input and I will look for the angled extension.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Double check all your vacuum lines, especially on the turbo.

A simple downpipe swap will not affect your boost at all. It is either purely coincidental or they touched something they shouldn't have.

The 90-degree spacer from 034 Motorsports works well. I highly recommend that one.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What kind of gaskets came with the CNT downpipe? Did you use OEM ones or did it come with crappy gaskets? You might have a leak in the system. Just something to check out.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
A leak after the turbo will not have any affect on boost pressure. Only a leak between the exhaust manifold and turbo could do this.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
A leak after the turbo will not have any affect on boost pressure. Only a leak between the exhaust manifold and turbo could do this.
good to know :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my 90 degree from 034motorsports, it uses a banjo style bolt and an alloy piece.. works awesome

Thanks just ordered the extension from them it should be here Friday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SPC Hosler,

Good luck with getting it running right. What are you going to do with your Volvo Tech leaving the country for 3 weeks:D

Hopefully you got it running 100% before I get back.

Regards,
Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've installed the new Samco hose from Viva and the O2 extender from 034 but am still having troubles holding boost. I can only get around 10lbs consistently. The car does feel stronger than it did when I had started the thread, but goes "flat" when the car used to really take off. I can peak around 15+lbs, but then slowly lose boost. Can this be a TCV? I was thinking of purchasing the HDTCV from Phuz, but am not sure if that is even my problem.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
When I had this issue it was TCV related, it could also be that your wastegate is set too high, causing the car to overboost when it's learning, and thus the computer pulls boost to overcompensate. Happened to me when I was adjusting my wastegate in my old S60.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm putting on my CNT dp next weekend, so I'll chime in when I drive her back afterwards. Hopefully no issues. Also have the ipd o2 spacer for it...

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
I'm putting on my CNT dp next weekend, so I'll chime in when I drive her back afterwards. Hopefully no issues. Also have the ipd o2 spacer for it...
why are you using the spacer? the CNT dp is catted.

Let me know how it goes, I believe I will be picking that DP up soon

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So is the OP, and he apparently needs one.

Mostly it just removes the chance of having an annoying CEL. It is a hi-flow cat after all.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No prob! :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I've installed the new Samco hose from Viva and the O2 extender from 034 but am still having troubles holding boost. I can only get around 10lbs consistently. The car does feel stronger than it did when I had started the thread, but goes "flat" when the car used to really take off. I can peak around 15+lbs, but then slowly lose boost. Can this be a TCV? I was thinking of purchasing the HDTCV from Phuz, but am not sure if that is even my problem.
If anything buy a new stock TCV before the TCV-HD cause they are prone to be problematic on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts