SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess this is common? Turbo outlet flange weld to pipe is cracked and leaking exhaust like crazy.

Anyone seen this and is it easily welded?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sounds like a real good excuse to get a high flow downpipe to me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking the same. Any recommendations?

However, if its an easy weld repair for say ~$30, I might be inclined to stay the course. But then again the cat has 110K on it...

By the way, the Japanifold I got from you is working like a charm. Unfortunately, I still had an exhaust leak after spending the good part of a Saturday replacing the manifold and gaskets. Turned out it was (mostly) the downpipe leaking all along. Could not see it because it was on the far side of the pipe.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
volvospeed guys always have some on there from people buying the obx exhaust that has two pipes in there. both the angled and straight flange. alot of guys buy the complete exhaust then sell off the pipe they dont need, ranges i have seen are $75-150 bucks.

buy the obx, cut off the OEM cat and weld it on and you good! more powa

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Actually there isn't any way to use the factory cat because of the way the tube comes out the top, unless you cut up the OBX downpipe as well. I'm thinking of doing an aftermarket cat or different model cat that I can modify to install with V-band clamps. Whatever I do will be able to retrofit the factory cat and downpipe for emission testing, as I've had friends have trouble with emissions using aftermarket cats.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I actually have used the OEM cat in two of my past volvos with a OBX dp.

You will have to cut the OBX up to install any cat, oem or aftermarket. Thats why i ended up using the OEM cat in a few cars and lately i have settled on a magnaflow 94109 in the last 3 volvos, including my 05 VR

I never saw the need to save the oem stuff, i dont think i will ever go back to stock considering the HUGE smile i get when the power comes in. Running catless IMHO is just plain silly. Aside from it killing the ozone, it just stinks all the time and i feel its not safe to breathe all that junk in.

Lloyd, if you used the oem cat, you think you will have emissions issues? my 01 c70 HPT manual is running the magnaflow cat with no issues for the past year. I worry the v bands will hang too low. also the OEM cat is going to be 2.25 vs 2.5" on the OBX.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lloyd - do you have an extra outlet pipe/cat that you are tripping over in your living room and want to part with?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So burg_855t - just to clarify - you have noticed a significant increase in power after replacing the downpipe with OBX and running through the OEM cat??

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
So burg_855t - just to clarify - you have noticed a significant increase in power after replacing the downpipe with OBX and running through the OEM cat??
YES< BIG BIG Smile :)

My 2005 V70R had Downpipe thru oem exhaust with no cat was soooooo much fun. put the oem cat on and it smells better and no effect on performance.

hard part is finding the downpipe for cheap

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I actually have used the OEM cat in two of my past volvos with a OBX dp.

You will have to cut the OBX up to install any cat, oem or aftermarket. Thats why i ended up using the OEM cat in a few cars and lately i have settled on a magnaflow 94109 in the last 3 volvos, including my 05 VR

I never saw the need to save the oem stuff, i dont think i will ever go back to stock considering the HUGE smile i get when the power comes in. Running catless IMHO is just plain silly. Aside from it killing the ozone, it just stinks all the time and i feel its not safe to breathe all that junk in.

Lloyd, if you used the oem cat, you think you will have emissions issues? my 01 c70 HPT manual is running the magnaflow cat with no issues for the past year. I worry the v bands will hang too low. also the OEM cat is going to be 2.25 vs 2.5" on the OBX.
I was saying a friend has had trouble passing emissions with aftermarket cats, but his original one passed just fine. Might be something to do with his tune or something to do with our requirements, maybe they're tighter here in Denver than most places. We do have bad smog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts