SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about purchasing a DP. After reading about all the stories of how difficult the bolts can be and having them possibly snap, I was wondering if you could upgrade the bolts and get some ARP bolts that are stronger. The only thing is finding out the size of the bolts and even if they make them. Anybody else interested?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Out of the hundreds of DP upgrades by SS members there is a small percentage with DP bolt issues. Simple PB blaster prep and air tools will make the job easy. Although I like where your head is at with ARP.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of the hundreds of DP upgrades by SS members there is a small percentage with DP bolt issues. Simple PB blaster prep and air tools will make the job easy. Although I like where your head is at with ARP.
I agree. But I wouldn't mind spending some extra money for them if it made taking it back off in the future easier.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
http://www.vivaperformance.com/genuine-volvo-downpipe-stud-s60r-v70r/

Buy new studs if you car is 100k+, then go to your local hardware store and purchase some flanged nuts for the studs...It's what I did and it makes my installs much more simple.
+1 did that on my 2008 2.5T, the 14T turbo had bolts, 16T turbo had old studs, pulled the old ones, dropped in new ones, and used some new flanged nuts. Taking the downpipe off a couple months later was super easy.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
+1 did that on my 2008 2.5T, the 14T turbo had bolts, 16T turbo had old studs, pulled the old ones, dropped in new ones, and used some new flanged nuts. Taking the downpipe off a couple months later was super easy.
+1

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Didn't know about those. Looks simple to put on as well.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
honestly, the only time downpipe bolts become a problem is when the job gets done at home in the garage on the floor on your back. :p when the job gets done on a lift, there usually is a acetylene torch available for the stubbornest of stuborn bolts and then a health supply of bins of various nuts and bolts to put back into its place. At least thats what happens when i get stuff done on my car LOL.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm thinking the only time you have trouble with those bolts/studs is the first time you take them off - because then they've been on for 5+ yrs. After that next you take them off if its only 1 or 2 they're much easier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts