SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that there is a quick answer from the experts on this site. I want to modify my exhaust with DP and full custom catback, anyone know if the svenske DP and exhaust system (or similar system) will pass smog in CA? Just wondering if its something I should be concerned with. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: Downpipe and exhaust, smogging in CA (BongeR)

Svenske used a Random Tech cat which is CARB certified. As far as emissions are concerned that's all you need to worry about. The cat-back won't affect it good bad or otherwise.<p>Now whether or not they'll fail you for an obviously non-stock exhaust... Only a Californian could tell you that.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Downpipe and exhaust, smogging in CA (StaggRLee)

Well Im no where near needing to be smogged at this point...but who knows down the line.<p>Also, how difficult is it to install the svenske DP? I have many tools and am very mechanical but, is it worth just paying someone to do it? How long would it take?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Acutally if you want to get technical I believe that any aftermarket CAT is NOT CARB legal in CA. Unless it is dealer installed and the factory unit. Yes it will pass the actual sniffer test, but if they really looked (they never do) and found it to be aftermarket it would fail the VISUAL inspection. Don't worry though, I've NEVER seen that happen. As far as the CAT back goes, you can do whatever you want, once AFTER the CAT, it is NOT considered smog related...<p>As for installing the DP, I am like you, good with tools etc. ( I used to custom build Harley's eh!) but I would not attempt this myself. If you mess up any of the bolts on the turbo or they are frozen, you gonna need help! Go to ZEN volvo in studio city, they are THE BEST (independant) and it is like a 2 hour job...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts