SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum,

For a long time I was planning to ask the community about the engine breaking capabilities driving downhill.

The concern has developed couple of months ago when I test drove XC60 T5 Momentum. I asked the dealer to test engine breaking capabilities driving downhill. (I will use the car in California mountains during winter going to ski resorts and capability to engine brake without applying brakes is really important on black ice with thin layer of snow on top).

For my great surprise with the small hill going down I down shifted the car gear to manual lowest gear available, which was only the second gear (for some reason XC60 did not have the first gear for manual shifting) the car accelerated to 40+ miles/h. This speed is really dangerous if it would be ice on the windy (curvy) road.
So, I have couple of questions:

Did I miss anything from car features to have ability to slow downhill speed without applying brakes?

Is it because of 4 cylinder engine with less compression than 6 cylinder engine and any 2.0L engine will have similar braking capabilities because of similar compression?

Where is Downhill Assist Control (DAC) for the car developed in Sweden?

Are other XC60 models having better features for engine braking?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The gear shifting behavior is dependent on your drive mode. In ECO mode, the transmission shifts to neutral for highway coasting. To keep engine engaged in low gears and low speed, switch to Performance mode

I have paddle shifters, and I can manually downshift without changing drive modes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. But the lowest gear for manual downshifting in Performance mode is only gear #2. Is it correct?

The gear shifting behavior is dependent on your drive mode. In ECO mode, the transmission shifts to neutral for highway coasting. To keep engine engaged in low gears and low speed, switch to Performance mode

I have paddle shifters, and I can manually downshift without changing drive modes

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nope. I think I've downshifted to 1st gear. However, the tranny will not allow you to downshift if that makes the engine over-rev

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dear Forum,

For a long time I was planning to ask the community about the engine breaking capabilities driving downhill.

The concern has developed couple of months ago when I test drove XC60 T5 Momentum. I asked the dealer to test engine breaking capabilities driving downhill. (I will use the car in California mountains during winter going to ski resorts and capability to engine brake without applying brakes is really important on black ice with thin layer of snow on top).

For my great surprise with the small hill going down I down shifted the car gear to manual lowest gear available, which was only the second gear (for some reason XC60 did not have the first gear for manual shifting) the car accelerated to 40+ miles/h. This speed is really dangerous if it would be ice on the windy (curvy) road.
So, I have couple of questions:

Did I miss anything from car features to have ability to slow downhill speed without applying brakes?

Is it because of 4 cylinder engine with less compression than 6 cylinder engine and any 2.0L engine will have similar braking capabilities because of similar compression?

Where is Downhill Assist Control (DAC) for the car developed in Sweden?

Are other XC60 models having better features for engine braking?
Here:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/suppor...ing-low-speed-driving-using-a-function-button

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't own an XC60 yet but have been reading the manual in anticipation.

A number of models have a Hill Decent Mode (either by selecting the Off Road drive mode or via the function screen) that limits speed but is restricted to 25mph or below:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/manuals/xc60/2018/starting-and-driving/drive-modes/hill-descent-control

Is that what you had in mind?
Yes, thank you. I was surprised the lowest manual gear available was "2" not "1" and the car accelerated to 40+ on engine braking without applying the regular brakes

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I do know that engine braking has been modified in the VEP engine due to oil consumption issues and to help prevent it. To what extent it has on actual driving I do not know but it is less than it used to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts