SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed recently that when driving on the highway at speeds reaching 80 (limit is 70) that the car seems to "float" a bit on the highway which leads me to this post.

What bits can be added/modified to keep the car glued to the ground? I know splitters, diffusers, and spoilers are all good items to add but does anyone make them yet (besides spoilers)? Also, are the existing spoilers out there actaully aiding significantly in generating downforce or are they more on the cosmetic side? Let me know what you old racing pro's think as im tired of that queasy feeling when I start going fast! TIA

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Downforce (Tarheelvolvo)

Strangely I don't get this sensation in the V50, probably due to the differing tail shape.

The most you can hope for from an aftermarket wing is a reduction in lift rather than anything near an application of downforce, this will be enough to make a noticeable difference, even Volvo's lip may make a difference at the speeds you're talking about, kinda like a gurney flap that was used in F1.

On a lot of fast cars there are small flaps in front of the wheels which , I believe and don't take this as gospel, reduce the high pressure areas building up in front of the wheels leading to a more planted feel at speed. A good performance car, take Porsche for example, will be littered with tiny details that all contribute to a net loss of lift at speed, so a wing on it's own may not make much difference.

Check your dampers as well though

Let us know if you find anyone who makes something that works

Rich

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Downforce (Marmoset)

look into lowering the car and any type of air dam, splitter ground effect etc, just don't hit a brick or it will cost $$$. Keeping air from under the car is the best way to cut down on lift and if you want to see what you need for downforce, find a picture of a roadrunner superbird.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My friend who owns a '04 Accord says he noticed a difference pre- and post- bodykit. I've had my kit on since day one, so I can't compare. Anyone here install a kit and actually notice a difference?

For what it's worth, I've gone 180KM/H and the car still felt steady, even though everything I have is OEM.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's probably your tire pressures. Did you check pressure to verify they're within spec?

I have no problem with floatiness hauling ass at double the limit in my V50.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Re: Downforce (Tarheelvolvo)

Does it happen when you have your 16" or 18" on?

I have AWD with 17" sculptors, stock tires, Dynamic Trim pkg, and never experienced such thing. Note that AWD also sits a bit higher.

On the other hand though, when I used to have my 99 civic, lowering the car got rid of the floatiness.

As said above, check your pressure, also your shocks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My T5 has basic suspension, the 16"s with stock tires, and no body kit. I'm on the autobahn daily (80-100mph average), and have no issues with floating.

Outside temps vary by about 35 degrees for a few weeks in the spring, which is roughly a 3 1/2 pound difference in tire pressure. If it's 45 at 0600 with 35psi in the tires, there's around 38-39 psi at 1700 when I go home. The steering feels a little more vague with the higher pressures.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (dneal)

Thanks for the input guys!

Oldman: Hilarious, thanks for your comments but I dont think I need that!

As for the 16" or 18" debate, this only seems to occur on the 16" which is what I am currently running, but this weekend im going back to my 18" for the summer tires so maybe it will stop since they are a bit wider and low profile. Im all for a front splitter to reduce high pressure build ups and maybe Evolve will make one for its existing kit which would be nice.

I might swap out the shocks as I noticed a little rebounding (but I think its tire related) yesterday on the drive home so maybe some coil-overs are in need

One other thing, is there anyway to tighten and/or re-align the steering geometery to counter the lowering of the car? I know this wont make a huge difference but every little bit helps and it might be something I can do myself but was wondering if anyone had gotten in that far on their car yet. Thanks again for the input and I have been toying with going a slight widebody on the car to get some large contact area up front with bigger tires and maybe some of those nice little "wings" that I see on ALMS cars are in order....or at the very least they might be able to scult the front bumper to have some indentions to take care of that so it doesnt look cheesy and bolt-on.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Tarheelvolvo)

Seems low profile tire's inflated properly hold a little better grip than their overinflated 16" cousin's....go figure. At any rate im still continuing the mission to find more downfore goodies and think I might have an carbon fiber/aluminum sandwich front splitter on locks but we'll see tomorrow at the dyno day what the fab guys think.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.