SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought he seemed pretty spot on. Its not a performance sports car but its a very nice car with great features.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Watched the review. Good typical Doug stuff. Now I'm even more jealous of the MY19+ Volvos as they get the faster processor and he said it was one of the best GUIs and Infotainment systems he has reviewed.

Although I was a little let down by the overall interior vibe. Not to be a d1ck but it looks very plain and boring (and almost not worthy of the $70k price tag) when compared to my Amber-interior V90CC. Also, the interior space (rear) is much smaller (at least feels like) when talking about seating 4, 6ft adults in there, which I very comfortably do in my V90CC. And please go back to the blue Polestar badge!

Good review and a good sedan, though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Watched the review. Good typical Doug stuff. Now I'm even more jealous of the MY19+ Volvos as they get the faster processor and he said it was one of the best GUIs and Infotainment systems he has reviewed.

Although I was a little let down by the overall interior vibe. Not to be a d1ck but it looks very plain and boring (and almost not worthy of the $70k price tag) when compared to my Amber-interior V90CC. Also, the interior space (rear) is much smaller (at least feels like) when talking about seating 4, 6ft adults in there, which I very comfortably do in my V90CC. And please go back to the blue Polestar badge!

Back seat of the S60 isn't bad. Yah, it's not as big as what you'll find in a V90 or anywhere near an S90, but it's plenty reasonable.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
S60 is rated "compact", S90 (MY2018+) is almost "full size".

·
Registered
667 Posts
Back seat of the S60 isn't bad. Yah, it's not as big as what you'll find in a V90 or anywhere near an S90, but it's plenty reasonable.
He didn't say anything about the back seats possibly being foldable... Does anybody know? It looks like there's maybe a ski opening in the center of the back seats. He noted how sedans are in low demand; I'd guess that if back seats in sedans could be folded down, they'd get much more sales. I can't figure out the designers of sedans in this way... I can't understand why, in this day and age, you would NOT design back seats to fold down in all cars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That did make me happy because so many people say that the Sensus is slow but when I test drove a 2019 v90 it seemed fast to me.
I'm also not a fan of plain black interior, very boring. The yellow seat belts are nice and now my wife wants to get that for the v60 we ordered lol. We sat inside a v60 in the showroom and where actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of legroom available. I put the front passenger seat in a comfortable position then sat in the back and had what felt like good legroom. It only has a 0.5" less of rear legroom compared to the v90.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
...I put the front passenger seat in a comfortable position then sat in the back and had what felt like good legroom. It only has a 0.5" less of rear legroom compared to the v90.
That is good to know. Maybe it was just the camera angle in the video then! In my case, I sit low and back in the Driver's seat. My seat is almost all the way back when driving. And I feel bad for people sitting behind me so I'm just extra-sensitive about every inch of rear-seat legroom a vehicle can offer.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
On Sensus: I watch a lot of Doug's videos. This showed up yesterday on my feed and I only watched the first 2 minutes of it before I had to wander off to fight other fires. But I've always seen complaints about Sensus. I gave them a lot of concern because I've seen a lot of complaints overall about all infotainment systems and figured people knew what they were talking about since I didn't have an experience with Sensus... until I bought an XC60. People are high. Seriously, people are high and on crack. They most likely are attuned to their own infotainment habits or prejudices and not on what works. Sure there are some foibles but every system designed has a few foibles.

I'm glad Doug pointed out that Sensus was pretty good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anybody have any technical info on the Sensus system? Like the type of chipset their using, memory size etc...? Sux that car manufactures dont use the latest processors similar to 600-1000 phones to have a seemless experience

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Having processor info and such isn't nearly as useful if they are using different operating system architectures as each will run differently in different hardware environments unless it's something like a realtime OS like QNX which several manufacturers have started to use.

I wished everyone used it honestly.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Having processor info and such isn't nearly as useful if they are using different operating system architectures as each will run differently in different hardware environments unless it's something like a realtime OS like QNX which several manufacturers have started to use.

I wished everyone used it honestly.
There is only a few choice for car dash software, and hardware is all ARM SOC based, with some peripherals.

The OS is either QNX, Android, or a plain linux based. Among them, Android is easiest for software app development. QNX is the hardest. Lots of complicated but essential stuff like nav, voice control, is readily available in Android.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
It would be nice if the other SPA 60 series cars got the full leather center console like this car has. One of my biggest complaints about my xc60.

Also looks like the sensus main screen is larger, like on the 90 series of cars?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
It would be nice if the other SPA 60 series cars got the full leather center console like this car has. One of my biggest complaints about my xc60.

Also looks like the sensus main screen is larger, like on the 90 series of cars?
The screen should be same size. Just appears to be larger because the dash itself is smaller than XC90.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
He didn't say anything about the back seats possibly being foldable... Does anybody know? It looks like there's maybe a ski opening in the center of the back seats. He noted how sedans are in low demand; I'd guess that if back seats in sedans could be folded down, they'd get much more sales. I can't figure out the designers of sedans in this way... I can't understand why, in this day and age, you would NOT design back seats to fold down in all cars.
The seats in the T6 fold, don't know about the T8, if they don't perhaps could be packaging with the hybrid battery doesn't allow it.

Here is an example that may illustrate why something that seems so obvious, "every car should have folding seats", might not be. My previous car was an 01 Lexus ES300. Its very similar to the contemporary Camry chassis. The Camry of the same year has folding rear seats the Lexus does not. Having taken the interior apart to replace the struts, I could get an idea why. There was a sizable structural brace behind the back seat. There was also a good amount of sound insulation, and the whole thing sealed to the opening to the trunk by bolting the seat down. Now I didn't speak to the engineers or product manager, but you can make some inferences here. The Lexus guys must have thought that the solidity of the chassis, which contributes to both handling and quiet interior, was more important to the Lexus buyer than having a folding rear seat. The Camry people must have thought otherwise, the utility of the folding seat trumped any loss of chassis rigidity by having an open hole there. As engineers know, everything is a compromise. Weight, cost, complexity all have to be balanced with which features the product guys are guessing to be "must have" vs those that are desirable but not a deal breaker vs those that the typical buyer does not care about.

I don't know cars but I know software. And I know if you implement every feature that each customer requests you quickly have a pricey product that is hard to use, with a bunch of extra crap your buyers don't care about. In a competitive business you are always playing the game of putting the most desirable features in without spending time and money on stuff people say they want but aren't actually willing to pay for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts