SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I posted a while back about a "clunk" when going over speedbumps at full left lock. A very distinct clunk indeed.

I've since figured out that the droplinks are fine, in fact all of the suspension components seem fine. There is no play in any of them, nor do they look worn. But I have also noticed that even on straight speedbumps there is sometimes a bit of a clunk, almost metallic in nature.

Since I was under the car anyway I felt up pretty much everything, so I touched the axles as well. Is it right that the middle bit can move back and forth fairly easily? They seem to be able to slide in and out just by pushing them around a little reaching a stop at some point. Total play will be around a half inch. I don't know why, but my gut tells me the axles are my problem particularly as they seem to wear quickly on our cars anyway and of course my car has done 150.000mls. It's a 2.0D, but I actually think Volvo use the same axles for most V50 models. Kind of annoying, I've by now replaced pretty much all of the drivetrain (flywheel and clutch preceded the axles, I removed them, held them, but I don't believe they felt like this at the time).

Can I be right? What could cause the axles to feel like this? Can I have caused it in some kind of abuse while fixing the flywheel? Can anyone be bothered to feel up their axles to check if this is normal? :p

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My axles can be moved back and forth about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch and I have no clunks or that. Take that for what it's worth. (Not sure if it's right or not, just sharing my experience)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I had a metallic clack or clunk with every other suspension component replaced I discovered it was the strut mount had cracked :mad:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
H
I had a metallic clack or clunk with every other suspension component replaced I discovered it was the strut mount had cracked :mad:

How'd you check it? Do you have to take the entire strut assembly out?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Your complaint sounds like "textbook" front endlinks. At first they only clunk at full lock and then after they get worse you will even hear them over bumps going straight. The only way to rule them out is to remove them and then drive the car and see if the clunk went away. If you replace them yourself make sure to tighten the new ones really tight or else they will clunk too.

Your c/v axles sound normal.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes. You can find a write up about it in the stickies. Just jack then entire front end up (both wheels off ground) and the you just need a box wrench and Allen wrench.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I will say that even though the end links may appear to be in good shape (no movement or slop), when you remove them you can inspect the joints - they're usually super loose. New end link joints are very difficult to move.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Right guys, I've been a little lazy (well, busy really but who's going to believe that) and have not done anything yet as what I thought was the issue (end-links) is a low-priority problem and could wait. Now though, situation has gotten significantly worse and it sounds like I need to spring into action asap.

Last week when driving in a parking garage with the window down I noticed it first. When steering at low speed/reasonable angles there's a fair amount of groaning coming from the front, doesn't sound good and it's a new noise. It might be there at higher speeds, but then at least it's not audible. The term "axle ping" which I've heard seems to describe it pretty well. I guess the end-links alone aren't the problem -_-

Could this really be axle ping and its recognized fix (replace the bolts with rubber-bushed ones from the XC90) or are my axles past it? I can get a set of brand new axles (I think Volvo original, but not sure actually, one year warranty anyway) for 250 euros and am inclined just to get them and replace the lot (endlinks as well) but not sure if that's necessary.

Would be wonderful if you guys could confirm whether the axles need replacing or not :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You said you hear a groan? That would've be axle ping then. Axle ping is literally hearing a "ping" when you do parking lot maneuvers. (Shifting rev to forward). Also, the ping just occurs once. It wouldn't continue to ping during a maneuver. Just at the start.

I know my end links started groaning when they were going bad.

Check it out and let us know what you find. Some people have had luck with the new bolt fix, others have not. Volvo released a TSB about it. They say to clean the two mating surfaces, apply loctite to a new bolt (TTY) and let it sit for a few hours uninterrupted.

It's hard to pin point a suspension problem without seeing it. Lots of moving parts..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You said you hear a groan? That would've be axle ping then. Axle ping is literally hearing a "ping" when you do parking lot maneuvers. (Shifting rev to forward). Also, the ping just occurs once. It wouldn't continue to ping during a maneuver. Just at the start.

I know my end links started groaning when they were going bad.

Check it out and let us know what you find. Some people have had luck with the new bolt fix, others have not. Volvo released a TSB about it. They say to clean the two mating surfaces, apply loctite to a new bolt (TTY) and let it sit for a few hours uninterrupted.

It's hard to pin point a suspension problem without seeing it. Lots of moving parts..
Ah I see... Can't be axle ping then. It's not just the one ping, it's continuous if I go left to right and back. Shifting reverse to forward is pretty much the only condition that does NOT create a ping, steering does. No need to be driving, just the steering. Power steering feels smooth by the way, I don't believe there's a problem there, surely I would feel something in the wheel if my steering box made that kind of noise.

I found an even better deal on some near new axles (compared to mine) from someone who totalled his V50 at 40.000 miles. I just can't believe all this noise is coming from just the end links, but I will be replacing those at the same time. Fingers crossed those two things fix it :)

Uhm, about the end-links, which one of these is it? They all look different and I don't have the spare parts in hand...
http://www.mister-auto.nl/fl/stabilisatorstang/volvo-v50-mw-2-0-d-136pk_v17906_g3229.html

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Those look right.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
All those parts look right.

I highly doubt you have an axle issue if you're just experiencing "clunking" (unless I read your post wrong). Bad axles would be clicking constant on turns or vibrate a lot under hard acceleration.

Clunking could be a lot... Control arms, strut bearing, strut mount, end links, tie rods... Pretty much anything with a ball joint. You should replace suspension parts before you do the axle as well. Since you expressed doubt and axles aren't cheap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All those parts look right.

I highly doubt you have an axle issue if you're just experiencing "clunking" (unless I read your post wrong). Bad axles would be clicking constant on turns or vibrate a lot under hard acceleration.
There's no vibration but the groaning I mentioned could be called "constant clicking" if that's what you'd want to call it... I ordered the cheap-to-get axles and will hopefully replace them in the course of next week.
Clunking could be a lot... Control arms, strut bearing, strut mount, end links, tie rods... Pretty much anything with a ball joint. You should replace suspension parts before you do the axle as well. Since you expressed doubt and axles aren't cheap.
I've also ordered endlinks (front and rear) so will be replacing them as well.

If these bits don't fix the problem I'll probably be back :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts