SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some people say to double up the gasket when replacing. The S60 has been dumping coolant on the passenger side of driveway and its dripping on the front side of the oil pan by the oil filter. All my hoses are good and visual inspection of water pump area looked good. I assumed it must be the gasket so I replaced it today as well as the the little hose going from the T-stat housing to the cooling loop under the intake manifold. I had to use some strength to get the 3 bolts broke. I torqued them fairly tight, but not crazy because of the aluminum and did it evenly. I'm still leaking coolant enough that i cannot let the son drive 25 miles to work in this heat and run out of coolant. Anyone have issues after replacing this gasket. I did not use any type of additional sealant.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm wondering if maybe there's a hole or leak somewhere other than the T-stat... An example, some months ago my fiance's Toyota Camry developed a leak that I thought was the T-Stat housing. Replaced that with a new housing, gasket and T-stat, and it still leaked like a mother. Turned out to be a freeze cover on the block next to the T-stat that developed a small hole. Just wanted to pass along that experience I had with something similar. The gist is make sure that it's actually coming from where you think it is and not elsewhere.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Phixion, I was started to think i was black listed because of the challenges and probably too many questions i have been asking regarding my T5 swap problems on the S70. Thursday I'm borrowing a friends scope camera, I'll get it up to temperature again and hopefully be able to see where its leaking under the intake manifold. And i will report back what i find and hopefully discover a fix to help fellow SS'rs.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you can, on a cool engine use a pressure tester. Attach it to the coolant res and pump it up to 14/15 psi and then track down the leak. You might be able to get the tester at Autozone or another place for free with the loaner/buy it program.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The 960's used to double up on their gaskets per Volvo. You should only need one there. We had a problem with a manufacturer in the Past (Calorstat/Vernet). The housing was milled incorrectly and leaked after replacement.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 960's used to double up on their gaskets per Volvo. You should only need one there. We had a problem with a manufacturer in the Past (Calorstat/Vernet). The housing was milled incorrectly and leaked after replacement.
Appreciate it, Maybe i torqued to hard and bent/warped it ? But when i did the T5 swap on the S70 I used the thermostat housing from the S70, 1 gasket and torqued it down the same way i did the S60 and i have no leaks on that engine ??

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nah I doubt you warped the housing the housing is cast aluminum and it would break first. Plus what 5/16-3/8" thick? I'd remove it and check to be sure the gasket is seated properly. Part #9463274.

Talk about coincidence..I was on my way to work this morning and my coolant level low light came on..Pulled over looked down below the Timing belt cover/Frame/Control arm area and though "Shoot, Ive got a WP leaking".. Just pulled car in the shop squeezed the upper hose and guess what :) Thermostat housing is leaking..But not at the seal where it bolts to the block..Leaking from the cover to housing..This is on the newer style housing though.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky you, thats a much easier fix. Maybe the gasket itself is junk. I didnt go OEM (i know, i know) dealer didnt have any in stock. I have one on order. And will give it the camera scope tomorrow and replace with OEM.

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the small hose from the thermostat doesn't leak (turbo only), I would guess the gasket doesn't seal. I like to use a smear of Permatex for coolant on both faces of the gasket - even on new gaskets. Also check the hose to the radiator, the clamp https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22071-Thermostat-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0007TQW60
I would prefer to try the permatex in addition to the gasket. Any risk of rubber chunks getting into the system and clogging any small coolant passages ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You need very little permatex. Dont run a bead on it, just put some between your index finger and thumb and lightly rub the gasket with it, enough to turn it color. We use Hylomar or Ultra Grey. If thats where the leak is coming from and a gasket (that usually doesn't require sealant) and sealant won't seal it, you may need to investigate the sealing surfaces. Can it clog stuff if you get too much? yes, it will end up in the heater core. Some thermostats have a little air bleeder thing on them and it could end up there as well. Use some, but just dont go over board. You'll know when its too much when you tighten down the housing. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you can, on a cool engine use a pressure tester. Attach it to the coolant res and pump it up to 14/15 psi and then track down the leak. You might be able to get the tester at Autozone or another place for free with the loaner/buy it program.
+1

Did this on my S70 and worked out great. Rented it for the day from my local autozone, was able to track my leak to old ruptured heater hoses at the block. Just apply pressure with the tool and start searching for the leak. Also got my money back too when I returned the kit. Like he said, best to do it when it’s cool ^. When I did my PCV I also replaced the T-gasket and haven’t experienced any issues. Maybe (idk how) it wasn’t seated properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive been out of town for the last 2 weeks and wanted to update this post as i found the leak. It wasn't the thermostat housing gasket. It was this hose connected to the small cooling loop that runs under the intake. It was hard as a rock. I was surprised because this was purchased new from IPD and installed about 30K miles ago when i did the PCV. Its all good now and i also replaced the banjo bolt with the new updated version. Im still getting the low coolant level light on this car and my S70. I grabbed a couple sensors from the JY and i guess im unlucky because the warnings did not go away. Just ordered 2 OEM's from IPD that i will install tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts