SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, to start, I have not much experience with suspension replacement. Closest I have come is wheel bearings/pads/calipers etc on a Honda back in the day. This is my first Volvo. I have plenty of tools/garage space to do most of what I need I think.

Pretty clunky ride on my 04 XC70. I'm sure it needs the majority of front/rear suspension refreshed at almost 160k miles.

Not able to throw down for everything, trying to do what I can at the moment.

Looking at replacing front springs/struts and end links as I was told they have some play.

Planning on just seeing how much it would cost for my local Volvo guy to just assemble them for me as I have never compressed springs and unsure if I should attempt it.

***Also not sure if it is necassary to buy the Hardware kit
***Links to some pictures I took if anybody is feeling extra bored and wants to see if they can point anything else out to me that looks suspicious: LINK HERE
Here is where I am at right now:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost assured you need control arm bushings. Either buy a replacement LCAs or just the bushings and DIY if you have a press (cheapest one from Harbor Freight works).

Compress springs? Feel no fear: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacPherson...ng-Compressor-Extractor-Tool-Set/263993750105 Cheap and uber-efficient, just lubricate the threads before first use.

You also need this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-strut-mount-and-spring-seats-kit-mountseatkit1-oem
Yeah, figured I needed them and plan to just replace control arms sometime in the future when I can.

Spring seats link you sent is included in the Volvo strut 6 piece kit I have in my cart.

Any ideas on if the hardware kit is necessary?

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
OP, First thing that I would scrutinize is how necc the springs are. Esp since by now the rubber parts like the LCAs already mentioned and motor mounts are no doubt shot. 5 powertrain mounts. May be wise to have backup ball joints too, since you are in a salty winter state, so whoever does the work will probably need to cut or pry things apart, damaging one or both. Heck, my AZ Subaru required me to sacrifice a ball joint when I did its suspension refresh.
If you plan to DIY, borrow an air compressor and buy a good impact gun. A $75 Harbor Freight unit will do if its not too rusty, but I can tell you that trying to break apart axle bolts manually can be the challenge of a lifetime.
If you choose to replace LCA rubber, I recommend OEM LCAs or pressing fresh rubber or poly. Many people have reported disappointment with aftermarket LCAs, although I personally haven't seen the feedback from IPD's, so who knows, they may be as good as they claim they are.

·
Registered
2004 XC70 AWD Auto
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can reuse metal parts, like nuts and washers, no problem here.
Excellent

OP, First thing that I would scrutinize is how necc the springs are. Esp since by now the rubber parts like the LCAs already mentioned and motor mounts are no doubt shot. 5 powertrain mounts. May be wise to have backup ball joints too, since you are in a salty winter state, so whoever does the work will probably need to cut or pry things apart, damaging one or both. Heck, my AZ Subaru required me to sacrifice a ball joint when I did its suspension refresh.
If you plan to DIY, borrow an air compressor and buy a good impact gun. A $75 Harbor Freight unit will do if its not too rusty, but I can tell you that trying to break apart axle bolts manually can be the challenge of a lifetime.
If you choose to replace LCA rubber, I recommend OEM LCAs or pressing fresh rubber or poly. Many people have reported disappointment with aftermarket LCAs, although I personally haven't seen the feedback from IPD's, so who knows, they may be as good as they claim they are.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think the springs are too bad but I know the struts are shot, I figured if I'm going to do the struts I should just throw some new springs in anyway.

I think next, hopefully asap I can just replace the control arms (And they are rusty as hell anyway.) Also the motor mounts and other things like you said are sure to need replacement. This is another area where I have not dabbled much with vehicles but hopefully with the help of awesome people like yourself on this forum and using VIDA/DICE I can stumble through some of it.

Unfortunately the thing holding me back is the price to do everything on the suspension that needs to be done at once. I know the struts are trashed and the end links have some play so I was gonna start there and get my feet wet. Otherwise, I really don't know how to prioritize what I should do first vs later with the suspension. I have always avoided DIY suspension stuff and kind of now regret it! No better time to learn than now I guess (and my local Volvo guy is a short tow away if I really muck things up.)

Thanks for the tip on the impact gun. I was already about to make that purchase next!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I realize that the front suspension is costly. When I did my build, it was about $2000, with most of it on sale at IPD. LCAs from Tasca, HD endlinks and IPD swaybars and Koni yellow adjustable struts to make it fun. I was also lucky it was an AZ car, so I didn't need a rebuild kit because some of the small stuff was still OK.
Its just that when you have to back off the axle bolt, you might as well do it all at once, rather than go through all that twice or more. If your LCAs are rusty, do you not have the aluminum ones?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts