SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought motor oil and coolant. All that is left now is to buy some brake fluid for my 2018 S60 (4 cylinder) Polestar.

According to a post by the Polestar rep, he notes it is same as "standard" Volvos. Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...amp-A-thread&p=3911489&viewfull=1#post3911489
Hi The_Placebo_Jeffect,

The brake fluid is the same as the standard cars, meaning Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4.

Kind regards,
Polestar
Any specific DOT4 brake fluid (brand) I should look for?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like Ate Blue because it is easy to tell when the new stuff is coming out of the drain tube. I do one change with Ate Blue and the next with Castrol LMA.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I bought motor oil and coolant. All that is left now is to buy some brake fluid for my 2018 S60 (4 cylinder) Polestar.

According to a post by the Polestar rep, he notes it is same as "standard" Volvos. Hydraulan 404-1 BASF, DOT4
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...amp-A-thread&p=3911489&viewfull=1#post3911489

Any specific DOT4 brake fluid (brand) I should look for?
Save your money, I use Autozone DOT4 and flush every 3 years. "Never" had a brake fluid related problem. :):) and I keep my cars for 15-20 years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
How often do you plan on bleeding the fluid out?
If your going to do it on a regular basis, dont live in a super muggy area but drive the car hard, look closer at a higher dry boiling point fluid. If you garage the car for long periods or dont plan on swapping fluid seasonally but rather every few years , than a higher wet boiling point will be more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
The differences between dot4s are overall nominal when considered for daily driving.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the helpful feedback.
To answer the question, this is just to top it off in case the level (somehow) gets low, which I have never had happen with any of my prior cars, but prefer to be safe...

·
Registered
254 Posts
In forty years of driving, I've never needed to "top off" my brake fluid. I would think that if you need to add brake fluid, something is wrong.

Back in my track driving days, I'd change brake fluid four or five times a year. Then I had kids so fun was reduced dramatically so I went to once a year.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I concur

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In forty years of driving, I've never needed to "top off" my brake fluid. I would think that if you need to add brake fluid, something is wrong.

Back in my track driving days, I'd change brake fluid four or five times a year. Then I had kids so fun was reduced dramatically so I went to once a year.
Thanks. To clarify, I have not had to top off my brake fluid in my Polestar, was just trying to be cautious, not knowing if the P* uses more fluid.

Agreed, I also don't recall having to add brake fluid over the years in any of my cars. I recall buying brake fluid years ago, but honestly may not have ever used it; if I did, it would have been many years ago and at most once.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brake fluid level naturally goes down as the brake pads wear. Replace the pads and it will be right up again - it should absolutely not get "used up" or leak anywhere.

For the guy that recommended ATE Blue - I used to use it too, but it was banned in North America several years ago as a blue fluid doesn't meet DOT standards.

Pentosin Super DOT 4 is what I've been using lately.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Same here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brake fluid level naturally goes down as the brake pads wear. Replace the pads and it will be right up again - it should absolutely not get "used up" or leak anywhere.

For the guy that recommended ATE Blue - I used to use it too, but it was banned in North America several years ago as a blue fluid doesn't meet DOT standards.

Pentosin Super DOT 4 is what I've been using lately.
Thanks for sharing the specific fluid you use and also for confirming that brake fluid should not get used up during normal use.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
+1

·
Registered
603 Posts
Same here.
I have another car (not volvo) for race track and always used Motul RBF 600. Flush it at least yearly or after a long driving session.
I never topped any of my car with brake fluid.
IF you have to do it, you have a leak and this can lead to major issue/accident. be careful

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again all!
Just to clarify, my brake fluid level is fine. I was only going to proactively get some brake fluid to have on hand if needed to top it off; I now know that (needing to top if off) should never be the case in normal use unless there is a leak or other issue.
That explains why I do not recall EVER having to top off the brake fluid on any of my cars, past or present.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts