SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my brake fluid. Manual calls out DOT 4"+" fluid. What brand is best to use? Where are you buying it? I can find a lot of DOT 4 but having a hard time finding 4"+".
Thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ate Type200 is the all around best brake fluid. If you want crazy performance, but with decreased longevity and higher price, Motul is the way to go. Most people I know who autocross use the type200 (used to be the superblue until the feds decided that was a nope)
But to answer your question, you can use 3,4,4+, or 5 in the system. You CANNOT use 5.1

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The spec our cars call for is actually low viscosity. Volvo claims this is due to the stability control, lots of manufacturers actually call for this spec fluid.

ATE makes a low viscosity fluid called SL.6, while the specs are not quite as good as super blue, it is still a good fluid and most street drivers won't notice a difference.

Pentosin also makes a low viscosity brake fluid called dot 4 LV, I have bought some of this and I'm going to try it at my next pad change.

You can find either fluid at some local parts houses, pep boys and autozone both have it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks spinall. I thought my book calls for 4+ due to the higher boiling point but I can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll try the Pentison dot4 LV.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Now that my R is back on the road after 3 long years I'll have to post the pics I've taken along the way.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
From my many years into working on cars, I have heard that you can use dot 3, dot 4, dot 5, dot 5.1 in most systems as long as you stick with the same fluid for fill ups as well, you don't want to mixing different fluids. I stay away from any of the silicone based fluids as the silicone based stuff just habs too many issues, I have been doing dot 4 in most of my other cars, with ATE super blue being what I buy.

Now ATE super blue has been made against the law for street use, for the dumb reason that it's dyed blue. The down side is now super blue is harder to find.

The truth is a lot of people spend a lot of time arguing which is the best fluid, instead of spending time doing fluid flushes to get the old fluid that has absorbed moisture out of the air (that is what brake fluid does). Even with a cheap fluid you could have ok results if you flushed it all the time.

In my first Volvos, I put Amsoil DOT 4 fluid in it before I knew about the low viscosity spec, seemed fine after that but who knows for sure, on this new 06 Sonic blue V70R I plan on driving this bitch until the wheels fall off. With how expensive the volvo dtsct are to replace, I'm going to spend the money to buy the LV fluid for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's my plan too. But yeah the book calls for 4+. Went to Napa, guy said he used to carry it but it never sold so they axed it. I'll just go with the LV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts