SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

door trim bubbling

7K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  p.rico 
#1 ·
Hello all, a couple of days ago I noticed my driver side door handle started bubbling. Is there a fix for this? If not, how much would it be to get it replaced?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow thats pretty bad. I think the only fix would be replacement, unless you sanded it and painted it, which would probably end up looking terrible. If your under warranty take it back, but since your asking I assume your not. You could try searching salvage yards online for a used piece, there are several websites where you input the part and yards call you with prices. If you want new, just call your Volvo parts dept.

#4 ·
Looks like the area bubbling is only around where your hand might be. Perhaps there was something on your hand, or someones, that reacted with the paint. I know acetone (fingernail polish remover) will react with paint as will brake fluid.

#7 ·
This looks like the thing that used to happen to Volvo switch gear when exposed to hand creme (translation: petroleum jelly). Some of the dash switches on my S70 did the same thing in the spots where my (and presumably the original owner's) index finger touched them. The outer rubberized coating bubbled and peeled away to reveal shiny black plastic beneath.

#9 ·
Have never seen or heard of that. I actually thought is was just plastic - didn't know it was painted.

#10 ·
Reactions: William H
#19 ·
#12 ·
Did you happen to have sunscreen or bug repellent on your hands? Ingredients in those lotions can degrade plastics.

#13 ·
My rear bumper right at the bottom of the truck lid started bubbling and I thought it was tree sap so I wiped it and the paint just came off so I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know what causes this but I'm going to bring it up at my next service in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I actually have the same issue on both my front driver and passenger sides :-\.. I am definitely going to look into replacing it if I can.. I don't think the warranty would cover it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I actually have the same issue on both my front driver and passenger sides :-\.. I am definitely going to look into replacing it if I can.. I don't think the warranty would cover it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Well, warranty might cover it, but if the pieces are only about $25 each, I would get a few of them. Especially if it was something on your hands that did it, as it doesn't matter if they are replaced now, it will happen again.

#16 ·
The paint on those interior parts (handles, waterfall) seems to be sensitive to chemicals. I re-painted mine last year because of scratches from the previous owner. Painting ontop of the original stuff caused it to bubble like that.
I ended up sanding all the panels down to bare plastic, and painting them with duplacolor Ford "Gun Metal" from advance auto parts. The sanding was a pain until I realized that if you sand in a bucket of water, it won't cause the paper to get plugged up with powder. Sanding in water took about 10 minutes per piece. I'm extremely happy with the result! I have pictures around here somewhere...

#20 ·
I would love to see pics of your results hank, mine has a similar problem but with almost all the paint stripped off rather than bubbling (that is how I got it). I am very inclined to sanding, priming and painting with much more resilient and hard wearing paint that won’t react or bubble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.