SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, 3 months into my ownership of a 2017 XC90 inscription and I love it but a rattle from the door with a bit of bass is getting to me. There are certain frequencies even at low volume where i hear a rattle from the passenger side door when driving. I dropped the car off at the dealership for the 3 month courtesy check up where they updated the software. I also mentioned the door rattle but they apparently tested with fm radio and couldnt replicate it (not surprising).

So im hoping you folks can help me out. If you have the B&W system and you use carplay, please tell me if you can replicate the rattle from the driver and passenger side doors. I hear it even at low volumes with certain tracks that are a little bass heavy and its so damn annoying.

My settings:
- Using apple carplay
- Sound mode - studio/individual
- Songs: Lorde - Sober (when the bass kicks in) at about 50-60% volume is a great example.

Anyone experience a similar issue and get it resolved?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I find that having anything in the door pockets makes the smallest bass rattle the doors. I keep all the door pockets clear at all times and no rattle at all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Take the door panels off and apply Dynamat to all the metal. It gets rid of the rattle and also helps with road noise.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I did. I no longer have any audio-related rattles.

The track that I burned onto a CD for the dealer to replicate the problem was Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man."

There are several technical journal (TJ) fixes for this issue. The dealer should be able to take care of this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had the same issue, after 3 visits the dealer finally fixed it. The first two visits, I was told it was fixed but it wasn't. I even was told that it's not designed to play "that much bass" lol

Clearly something was touching the speaker or something not attached properly making the entire door panel vibrate. Pulling on the door handle dampened it a bit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep! Also does it to Lorde's Royals. I read somewhere on this board that the dealer will fix door rattles secondary to a certain frequency bass

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have not encountered such rattles as yet. All rattles so far have been due to objects in the door pockets. But if the panels loosen up and I start getting them I'll be sure to have them test with one of the aforementioned tracks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yes, I did. I no longer have any audio-related rattles.

The track that I burned onto a CD for the dealer to replicate the problem was Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man."

There are several technical journal (TJ) fixes for this issue. The dealer should be able to take care of this.
I have the same rattle sounds on some songs and the dealer couldn't fix it, and he knew nothing about the TJ.

Volvo should ensure their workshop guys are uniformly clued up on all topical matters.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Check these out:
TJ 30981, TJ 32037.1.0

My dealer said the couldn't replicate it. Try playing a 62Hz tone from Youtube and burn a CD with that tone over and over on it. My dealer seemed to refuse to use their phone to play back a 62Hz tone on youtube no matter how many times I told them...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I 've had that problem with my D5 BW 2016. There is a technical note at Volvo for this issue. Solution has been applied to mine, don't know exactly what (foam,...), but everything's fine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Door rattle/vibration with B&W..

The dealer tried addressing the issue to no avail for the 7th time. I've just about had it with that dealer so I took it to another one. The sound is very easy to diagnose and replicate if you download a sound generator app and play between 65-69hz frequency. That's the only way to pinpoint the rattle because music will drown out the sound a little, making it hard to find. I too have the Bowers and Wilkens and have been quite frustrated with the rattle issues. I hope this new dealer is able to address it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So I just picked up my car from a different dealer. Mind you this is the 8th time. This dealer found that the previous Volvo dealer broke all the clips behind the wood trim, which is what was causing the loudest rattle coming from the door. However, there is still another rattle that is heard at low volumes. The annoying this is I told them to thoroughly test the door for rattles before telling me it was ready. Looks like they wasted my time again. The car was at the shop for 5 weeks this round. It's been a terrible customer experience with this brand. So over it...

·
Registered
997 Posts
This "broken clip" syndrome that has been going on unchecked since at least the 70's has got to stop. Stupid cheap little delicate plastic clips. This is one reason I wouldn't even try the dynamat workaround. Once these clips get loose it's a mess. Such archaic technology...

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Are the clips that break independent of the door panels? I've not taken apart my Volvo yet but on my previous Chrylser vehicles the door panels used nylon fasteners that were supposed to be replaced whenever the door panel was removed. They're super cheap. I don't know why any shop wouldn't do that assuming it's the same with the Volvo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had mine 17 checked out the last time it was in and they also were unable to replicate the issue... Such a bummer that you pay a premium for a system that was specifically designed for the XC90 yet it clearly wasn't tested very thoroughly. Ahh such a great sounding system only to be instanly infuriating when the wrong song comes on.. I will follow the recommendations here and make a "test" CD..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Had mine 17 checked out the last time it was in and they also were unable to replicate the issue... Such a bummer that you pay a premium for a system that was specifically designed for the XC90 yet it clearly wasn't tested very thoroughly. Ahh such a great sounding system only to be instanly infuriating when the wrong song comes on.. I will follow the recommendations here and make a "test" CD..
Or just download the frequency generator app and show them when you drop off the car. The second dealership downloaded it as well which helped them a little.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are the clips that break independent of the door panels? I've not taken apart my Volvo yet but on my previous Chrylser vehicles the door panels used nylon fasteners that were supposed to be replaced whenever the door panel was removed. They're super cheap. I don't know why any shop wouldn't do that assuming it's the same with the Volvo.
No clips. The panel comes off easily after you remove one or two screws hidden in the arm rest. If just lifts off in one piece - the easiest panel removal ever.

I dealt with the same crap some of you have. My issue wasn't resolved until I proved to the dealer they needed to replace my door panels because they were not manufactured correctly. Ever since they were replaced, I have been one happy camper and absolutely love the B&W system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
No clips. The panel comes off easily after you remove one or two screws hidden in the arm rest. If just lifts off in one piece - the easiest panel removal ever.

I dealt with the same crap some of you have. My issue wasn't resolved until I proved to the dealer they needed to replace my door panels because they were not manufactured correctly. Ever since they were replaced, I have been one happy camper and absolutely love the B&W system.

The last dealer already replaced my door panel already. That didn't resolve the rattle. I wonder if there are certain parts that didn't get replaced which are still causing the rattle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The last dealer already replaced my door panel already. That didn't resolve the rattle. I wonder if there are certain parts that didn't get replaced which are still causing the rattle.
Have you been able to pinpoint the area on the panel it's coming from?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts