SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's 05 XC90 has an issue with the locking mechanism on the passenger side. She is trying to describe this via text, so bear with me. She says it makes a mechanical noise like it wants to lock, but doesn't. Has anyone had a similar issue? Also, if I need to describe how to take the door paner off could someone post a diagram of how the panel comes off?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my 2007, on both the passenger and passenger rear doors. Sounds like the door lock actuator (about $160). Door panel comes off with some effort, but I would recomment getting some trim removal tools (plastic pry-bar looking things). To remove the door panel you first have to pry up the silver trim piece around the inner door handle. Mine took a fair amount of force, to the point that I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. You can find instructions online for removing the door panel. Start at the bottom of the trim piece and pry it upwards - one clip on either side. Behind that are a couple of torx screws. The rest of the door panel comes straight away from the door, held in by close to a dozen little plastic pin/socket things. Try to get the trim tool in close to each one so you aren't putting too much stress on the door panel plastic.

Changing the lock actuator isn't too difficult. After you get the inner door panel off, carefully peel back the foam piece covering the opening in the door closest to the catch for the door. The door catch is actually part of the door lock actuator. You'll need to take off the lock pull (it just pops out of it's hole), the inner door handle cable (there is a little black square shaped piece with 2 locking tabs, pry these back, slide the square piece out of it's slot and the cable is threaded through a hole with a Z bend in the end), and the outer door handle rod (looks like a bent threaded rod in the rear, held in place by a little metal bracket with locking tabs). There is only one main connector on the lock actuator and I had to feel around for the lock tab. The last thing is to remove the 3 Torx screws on the outside edge of the door jamb surrounding the catch. With the lock actuator loose you should be able to rotate/pivot the lock actuator towards you, past the window frame on the inside of the door, and out the hole where you peeled back the foam cover. It feels like it isn't going to fit past the window frame, but I was able to get it out and back in without damaging anything. The rear door is much easier because you don't have the window frame to deal with, but the process is similar. Lastly, just put everything back together, making sure you hook everything back up on the lock actuator. The glue on the foam piece is tacky enough that it should just stick together again.

The funny thing is, I haven't actually done the repair yet. I just took mine apart to see if I might be able to fix the lock actuator without having to replace it, since mine was still at least trying to lock and unlock. No dice, so I sprung for two new actuators and will do the swap for real when they arrive. Hopefully it fixes the problem, but my understanding is that these fail often enough that it should be the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Please take some pics for when you actually replace. Thanks

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any one in the Phoenix AZ area that can recommend a good Volvo shop for thsi job or a dealer where one can buy parts? My dad is down there for my sister's graduation, the XC90 is hers, and he has tools to do the job. Thanks again mister pepper for the great write up post.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Happened to ours the night the warranty expired. Door lock actuator was the culprit. Volvo NA was kind enough to charge me only about $100 to fix it one day out of warranty. In fairness, we were over the mileage by about 1,500.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Occasionally my MY2006 does this. But because there is no truly audible honk to indicate the door is locked I have always looked at it as I press the lock button on the key fob. That's how I first discovered the problem. When it doesn't actually lock, I unlock all the doors, and press the lock again. The doors always lock after doing this.

I will say also, that one of the 1st times I noticed this was in my garage, so I opened the door, so I know that even though the door isn't locked the alarm system is armed.

I just hope the problem doesn't get to the point that my temporary fix won't work.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts