SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 C70, that needed the side view mirror changed out due to previous owner's ability to back into garage walls!!!! The dealer wanted over $900 to replace and install. Not this well read/researched Volvophile! So if you ever need to remove your door panel, please allow me to tell you my experience! Disconnect the battery for at least 3 minutes first!

The door is held on by 5, 25t screws. Two are behind the door handle that must be removed with a bone tool, or pry tool. One is behind a small plastic cover close to the door top rear side of the door. There is one in the hand hold behind a cover that snaps out with a small screw driver. The last one is hiding behind the plastic badge that says "side curtain airbag" where the leather meets the plastic that will pop off with a bone tool.

Once you have these 5 screws taken out if you have a clip tool there are 7 clips along the outside edge of the door, 3 along the rear part of the door, and 4 along the bottom. I found that prying the door panel out a little and shining a flashlight you can find the clips easier and can get the clip too to pry them out easier.

The panel just needs to be wiggled a bit and freed of the weather stripping to separate the panel from the door. Of course you have all the connections to panel like, handle, power windows, speakers, and such so take care moving the panel too far with out disconnecting those connections.

I hope this is helpful to some one on this site, if you have any questions please ask, unfortunately I didn't have the for thought to bring my camera for pictures! :mad:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. The "side curtain airbag" badge would have stopped me cold. Why does the battery need to be disconnected for 3+ minutes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disconnected it the first time, just to insure that an accidental airbag deployment didn't happen! I had to replace a window switch that broke the first time I took the panel off! The second time I didn't disconnect the battery! The panel is very heavy so please take care as to not break possible connections from door to panel! (like window switch I had to replace)!!!! Anything with orange tape on the wire has to do something with an airbag!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting this, hope you still follow your swedespeed account.

Can you give me a little more info on the clips? Do I need to order a special tool for them or can they just be gently pried loose? Also, is the airbag attached to the panel being removed, or elsewhere on the door?

What I’m looking to do is upgrade my speakers and I’m coming up totally dry for more info on them.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Thanks for posting this, hope you still follow your swedespeed account.

Can you give me a little more info on the clips? Do I need to order a special tool for them or can they just be gently pried loose? Also, is the airbag attached to the panel being removed, or elsewhere on the door?

What I’m looking to do is upgrade my speakers and I’m coming up totally dry for more info on them.
the airbag is attached to the door panel, is recommended to pull the door handle trim (aluminum in my case) with a plastic tool, if you use metal (like a flat head screwdriver) you run the risk of leaving marks on the trim.

these are examples of the tools recommended:

Plastic pry tool:

Link: HERE

Upholstery and Trim tool:

Door Panel Removal tool:

also, I have these pictures that may be of some help to you:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Apart from preventing an inadvertent airbag deployment the other reason for disconnecting the battery is that if you disconnect any airbag component while there is power the CEM will detect the missing component and throw an SRS warning that needs to be reset after you have reconnected it. No big deal if you have VIDA or some other advanced OBD reader, but a trip to the dealer if you haven’t.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
421 Posts
Probably the trip to the dealer just to clear the airbag error will be more expensive than buying at DiCE unit from eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I needed to replace the passenger side power window motor/control module in my 2008 C70 last month. Swedespeed Moderator tmtalpey sent me the Vida instructions for door panel, switch and PDM removal/replacement.

PM me if you’d like a copy....

·
Registered
397 Posts
aronc - no link...and can’t attach .pdf’s for door panel and switch removal to Swedespeed PM. PM your personal email address to me and I’ll send you the PDFs

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can easily upload to google drive and share the link so we all fellow c70ers may have access to file if it is not a biggie for you. You can also send me the file at [email protected] i dont mind uploading

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts