SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on our V70. The driver's side door opens from the outside but the inside handle does nothing, although it has some sort of tension... Or, rather, did, until a service guy pulled it over the weekend. Now it doesn't have much give, moves maybe half an inch. In any case, the interior door handle won't open the door.

Any easy solution to this? I've searched and found nothing.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Take the door panel off and look at it? I haven't looked at mine enough to see if it's a rod or a cable. It could be a problem where it slipped out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the door panel off and look at it? I haven't looked at mine enough to see if it's a rod or a cable. It could be a problem where it slipped out.
I'm trying to figure out what it is ahead of time so I can potentially purchase a replacement part for whatever is broken, instead of driving around without a door panel after I figure out what's going on and while parts are in transit because I'm too lazy to put it back on :p.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The door panel takes like 10-20 minutes to take off and reinstall... It's not too hard.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Even if you have to travel with the door panel off for a few days - no one on the road will know.

I have done this a few times with other cars.

You got to get in there to see what failed - in order to purchase the correct part.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The little connector piece/rod has probably come off from the inside door handle. I had that problem with my old car when i took the door panel off and didnt re attach it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, it's actually a cable that attaches to the handle with a plastic housing that snaps into it, it is very easy to imagine that it just popped out and needs to be popped back in.

It's hard to see, but in this picture on the top, just to the right of center, you can see the back of the handle where the cable snaps in:

And in this picture in the upper left, you can see the cable itself with the plastic housing:

If you have a tab broken so it won't re-snap, you can drill holes strategically and zip tie the thing so it stays in place.

And it really is very easy to take the door panel off, you just split the door handle with a bone tool to take the front off, unscrew two torx screws, then remove the little push pin clips around the perimeter of the panel and it just lifts off.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had this problem. It was NOT the cable. Instead, it was the pivot pin that the inside handle pivots on. I had to take off the door panel, and then I had to take off the trim on the exposed side of the panel; it has those crummy friction locks on the inside of the door panel, be careful not to break them. There are small plastic studs going through the door panel, and these are molded into the trim piece, and go through holes in the door panel. The studs are held in place on the back side of the door panel by the friction locks. I actually used a small punch to pop the plastic studs through the friction locks, and made sure I didn't lose any of the locks. I recall there were about 6 or so studs. You are popping the trim piece off the side of the door panel that faces you inside the car.

Once the trim piece was off, it exposed the handle mechanism which is covered by the trim piece, and cannot be seen from the back of the door panel, then you can see what is wrong. There is a pin that goes through a hole on both sides of the handle, and through the handle. It looks almost like a miniature door hinge, only there are only two fingers on the panel, and one finger on the door handle itself. In my case, the pin had come out of one side of the panel, and was barely in the hole in the handle. The result was that the handle would move slightly, but it wouldn't move enough to pull the cable properly to release the door latch.

Once I was able to drive the pin back in place, the handle worked properly. Then, you put the end of the cable back into the handle (some fun) and reassemble it. First, you have to put on the trim piece that is on the passenger side of the door, using the friction locks, and then you get the door piece close to the door, install the cable, and then finish hooking everything else back up, and reinstall the door panel.

Even the VIDA diagram doesn't show this assembly, it only shows the whole handle piece, and it is snot even old as a unit, Volvo doesn't seem to stock it! However, simply driving the hinge pin back in place solves the problem. Otherwise, it looks like you replace the entire door panel to fix the hinge pin.

On S80's apparently the cable end will deform, and that causes a similar problem, but there you have to replace the cable itself, which can be purchased separately.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the info. Also if you lose one of those friction locks, they're commonly called push nuts and Ace hardware has a variety of them. I'd have to check if Ace had the right size but even if not you can buy them online. They actually had replacements for the grille badge on my 122 in stock on their shelves.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Will attempt this weekend. So, aside from the push-pins on the door panel, which I found, where are these hidden screws?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
They're inside the pull handle, the front half comes off at the seam. If you use a bone tool it won't get chewed up when you pry on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe easier fix for pushe up hinge pin?

I had this problem. It was NOT the cable. Instead, it was the pivot pin that the inside handle pivots on. I had to take off the door panel, and then I had to take off the trim on the exposed side of the panel; it has those crummy friction locks on the inside of the door panel, be careful not to break them. There are small plastic studs going through the door panel, and these are molded into the trim piece, and go through holes in the door panel. The studs are held in place on the back side of the door panel by the friction locks. I actually used a small punch to pop the plastic studs through the friction locks, and made sure I didn't lose any of the locks. I recall there were about 6 or so studs. You are popping the trim piece off the side of the door panel that faces you inside the car.

Once the trim piece was off, it exposed the handle mechanism which is covered by the trim piece, and cannot be seen from the back of the door panel, then you can see what is wrong. There is a pin that goes through a hole on both sides of the handle, and through the handle. It looks almost like a miniature door hinge, only there are only two fingers on the panel, and one finger on the door handle itself. In my case, the pin had come out of one side of the panel, and was barely in the hole in the handle. The result was that the handle would move slightly, but it wouldn't move enough to pull the cable properly to release the door latch.

Once I was able to drive the pin back in place, the handle worked properly. Then, you put the end of the cable back into the handle (some fun) and reassemble it. First, you have to put on the trim piece that is on the passenger side of the door, using the friction locks, and then you get the door piece close to the door, install the cable, and then finish hooking everything else back up, and reinstall the door panel.

Even the VIDA diagram doesn't show this assembly, it only shows the whole handle piece, and it is snot even old as a unit, Volvo doesn't seem to stock it! However, simply driving the hinge pin back in place solves the problem. Otherwise, it looks like you replace the entire door panel to fix the hinge pin.

On S80's apparently the cable end will deform, and that causes a similar problem, but there you have to replace the cable itself, which can be purchased separately.
I couldn't get those stupid one way friction locknuts off, so I just drilled a couple 1/4" holes in the plastic above where the hinge pin was pushed up into to look inside, and sure enough when I dug thru the fiberboard I found the end of the pin pushed up into it! I got a heavy duty pair of needlenose and firmly pushed it back down into the bottom side of the hinge and now the handle open and closes correctly! What a STUPID design Volvo! I have 2x old pre 2001 S70s, and this 2001 V70 and to be perfectly honest I really feel the design engineering has sadly gone downhill with the newer cars. I will most likely sell my 2001 and keep the older ones in the family!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts