SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placing my hand on the door handle in an effort to lock it when walking away from the car (with my keys) is inconsistent. I'd say it works about 65% of the time. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it NOT locking. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, all the time. I’ve always said well maybe my hand is too cold or
My hand is too small, and I will try moving my hand in different locations on the handle. Mostly, I’m
Already moving so I pull out my key and hit the lock button.
Wish it worked more efficiently or I was better trained in knowing the “sweet spot”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Touch the indentation on the face of the handle or back side of handle...those are the pressure sensitive spots.
Volvo makes following warning:
It is important that only one pressure-sensitive
surface is activated at a time. If the handle
is grasped at the same time as the lock
area is pressed, there is a risk that double
commands may be sent. This may cause the
requested action (locking/unlocking) to be delayed
or not performed at all.
pg 226 owners manual.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Do you keep the red key in your car, by chance? I've heard that can cause issues.

Personally, on a different model I've only had problems when I accidentally leave my key inside the car, in which case I'm always glad its that good at detecting it. Otherwise it has worked every time with a simple tap, even with gloves on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was having trouble at first as well. But I realized I was "grasping" the door handle like I was going to open it, and also pressing the indentation at the same time. Now, I know just to take any finger and lightly push on the indentation. Works all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Touch the indentation on the face of the handle or back side of handle...those are the pressure sensitive spots.
Volvo makes following warning:

pg 226 owners manual.
Thanks for the info. I'm fairly confident I do touch the indentation, but perhaps I'm not doing it quite correctly. I'll give it more attention tomorrow and see how it goes. As for the red key someone mentioned, no, it lives in the house, not in the car.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Key fob and cell phone in same pocket could be affected by interference.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the SAME problem. I noticed it works MUCH better on the rear handles actually....the lock mechanism works effortlessly and easily with a light touch when touching the rear door handles. Try it yourself and let me know if I'm not the only one with this experience lol

But yea...I'd say it takes multiple tries myself to get the doors to lock with the touch-to-lock. 1 key, in my pocket, not grasping the handle, and touching the correct indented space on the handle works the first time maybe 75% of the time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Key fob and cell phone in same pocket could be affected by interference.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Exactly what I was going to say - phone and key in the same pocket, purse, or holding both in the same hand will give mixed results. It took me getting used to not confusing the car by touching the unlock and lock on the handle, but now locking works consistently for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need to update my response; I have diligently been locking my door with only my thumb on the indentation.... IT WORKS... so far 100% of the time. In my case my door locking woes were clearly user error. Thanks to all who responded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts