SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

One of the complaints I have about these cars is how cheap and plasticky the door handles feel when opening the doors. Sometime if I don't pull straight on or not enough force, I have to give it another tug to get it open. Some door handles are worse than others (the drivers door has the most use of course) but they all have the same cheap feeling to them.

Now, I bought this car used so can't compare it to how it came from the factory, but is there anything that can be done to improve this? Any way to grease the mechanism and have it open easily?
I was also thinking of adding some felt to it so that when you've opened the door and let go of the handle, it doesn't retract back with that cheap plastic on plastic sound.

I would love to hear what you guys have done to improve this or if you feel the same way about their build quality.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My driver side door is the same way. It's pretty irritating sometimes when I have to tug on it three times to open it or just pull really hard once. I would also like to know if anybody took care of this issue.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Lubrication will help. It still won't be super smooth but should improve greatly. The door mechanism is a bit complex on these cars. The root problem I feel is that both the inside & outside release handles operate the latch via cables rather than a direct rod. One word of advise. If you have an early car & the inside handle becomes hard to pull take the handle off & look at the cable end. The old ones are steel & bind in the handle. Cable end will flex & eventually break. The newer style uses a nylon end.

Use this thread to see how the various pieces come out & inspect/lubricate everything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cant say I share the same problem with my door handles. Never ever had a problem. My guess is try a new door handle assembly or like others say get inside of the handle and grease it or whatever.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also depending on how the "catch" in the door jam is adjusted for your door's release latch, it can make it more or less difficult to get it open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts