SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Long story short: My right rear door wont lock. I found out today when a friend went to open the car while locked and it sounded the alarms.

I think the lock pin thing got messed up a few months ago when I took the door cover off but I thought it functioned as an indicator only (albeit connected mechanically in a way that allows you to the lock the door using it). With that last bit of knowledge I tried tinkering with it and I did get it to lock once. So I guess the lock itself is somehow alright. I have no clue how to address the problem though.

I've heard these lock related parts can be expensive so am I looking at replacing something, and if so what, or is anyone familiar with such an issue or a fix for it? Or could just point me in the right direction....

Registered
It could be the solenoid, you may want to make sure that all electrical plugs are pushed in properly and making a good connection.

Registered
I actually have the same problem with my car now. Interesting to know that I am apparently not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ryjimenez: Solenoid? Where is it located? And which connections should I check?

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did some digging. Took the door cover off and investigated around the pin itself. The pin connects to some plastic bits inside the door and there's a rubber seal around the pin to the door. With the cover off and seal removed it locks just fine but as soon as I installed the seal and the cover it stopped functioning.

I did get the door to lock as it should by leaving the seal disconnected so it's sort of functioning. Though I'm not so sure I can trust the lock so I'll probably have to replace something. Also, I couldn't get a better look into whether it would be the lock actuator or something else since those parts are hidden behind a sheet of metal that can't be removed without disconnecting the whole power window assembly etc.

Registered
It almost sounds like the pins on the connector are not making good contact. I would take a look at both sides of the connector and make sure none of the pins are pushed back. Also make sure there is no rust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, sorry. I should clarify: I'm talking about the metal pin that has a plastic top which protrudes through the door cover and indicates whether the door is locked or unlocked. It connects to some plastic pieces which I think broke in the process of removing the cover some months ago and since the pin has been more or less stuck in the middle position. I thought it only indicated incorrectly, not that the door wouldn't actually lock.

It's secured in place using a rubber seal which when freed from the door seems to allow the pin to move freely enough to allow locking. So the door locks now, but I feel very unsure if it's a viable solution. I want to be able to rely on my locks, not just cross my fingers and hope it'll continue working.

Registered
Your description sounds familiair to me. The lock-pin did go down when locking, but came up immediately again leaving the car unlocked. I decided to order a new lock-unit (actuator). To lock the car while waiting for the new actuator, I opened the rear window, locked the car and then, from the outside through the open window, pushed the pin down and put some ducktape over it. Then I closed the windows with the remote.

When I replaced the unit, I compared the old unit (after removal) to the new and noticed that a spring was missing. I fitted the new lock and decided to search the inside of the door for the missing spring. After removing a block of plastic down low in the door, I found the spring and refitted it. It seems that this spring helps with keeping the lockpin down when the car is locked. I have not tested the old lock with the refitted spring.

I have taken a few pictures of the old lock with the refitted spring. Perhaps you have the same problem and these pictures help in clarification the above story (English is not my native language).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts