SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Caution to other owners:

I frequently have to vacuum my rear cargo area as I have two German shepherds. A common occurrence is the tank vacuum cleaner, or the vacuum hose, moves under the rear cargo area and triggers the automatic close function.

The rear door has closed on me several times despite efforts to separate the vacuum and or hose from these areas. One time it got me good on the bridge of my nose as I was focused down on the carpet and did not see the door closing. It has left a permanent scar.

I am going to request my dealer put in a request to allow shut off of the radar closing functions for occasions when you do not want to risk inadvertent door closing. FYI I also had to intervene once with the dogs laying in the back of the car with paws hanging out when the door closed due to bags being staged for loading, and one fell under the car...

I am not aware of a current way of temporarily disabling the auto open/close function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too have been attacked by the unexpected tail gate closing. With many vehicles, such as the Lexus RX350, the closing is much slower and is accompanied by a warning tone. It is also my understanding that the mechanism only works only on opening. With my XC90 the opening and closing is much too sudden and even though after meeting an obstruction it reverses, physical damage can occur. Your example is what I have been afraid might happen. Volvo, with all it's attention to safety has made a real error here.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Maybe they can just add a setting within the settings menu in the touchscreen to disable automatic operation of the tailgate making it manual operation and implement it through a future update.

My qx60 had a mechanical switch that turned off auto operation of the tail gate though I never ever used it. Just another thing some people want/need, others may not.

And talking about the speed of this tail gate, I love it. My qx60 tailgate was SO danmed slow, and the beeping it made... Annoying. I personally like the Volvo operation.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe they can just add a setting within the settings menu in the touchscreen to disable automatic operation of the tailgate making it manual operation and implement it through a future update.
Yes. Just what I was thinking. I like the feature and the speed, but it really needs an override... IMHO

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Or if there is human body or other thing under it, don't close and just beep.

Darn, like an alarm protected museum door now.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
My rear hatch wouldn't close and just beeped at me. I finally realized my wife had walked away with the key. Try putting the key out of range of the rear hatch when you're vacuuming.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My rear hatch wouldn't close and just beeped at me. I finally realized my wife had walked away with the key. Try putting the key out of range of the rear hatch when you're vacuuming.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
That makes a lot of sense...I have to leave the remote key away from my S60 when washing or it senses me touching the car and sets off the mirrors to turn into a parked position rotating inwards and locks the doors.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
A reviewer had recently mentioned that the auto-stop function was too insensitive, I guess he was right. If volvo would just lower the force threshold of the function it would be solved IMO.

·
Registered
159 Posts
And then people would complain it is not fast enough, like they did with the windows not rolling up fast enough. Then people will say they want to disable power tailgate completely so they can open it faster by hand.
The solution is not to have the key on your person when valeting the car. I cannot see any other reason the person would hang around the back of the car without expecting to open the tailgate.

Very sorry to hear about your experience fmfosnacht.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts