SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our first SUV Volvo - the XC60, and already I have a slight concern. As I swing the driver’s door open the top outside corner has several times brushed along my eyebrow, narrowly averting a cut to my skin.

I’m about 6’1” and I suspect it may have occurred to other people about my height. In fact, I was watching a YouTube test drive where the host was wearing a band aid above his eye and chuckling about the same thing. Is this common?

I have a 2017 V60 and a 2012 S60 and never had any problems.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
The door side edge lean towards the rear, this is for the pretty lines I think. So have to be more careful, stand upright when opening the door. I am so far so good. My car is parked low and the corner is at my eyebrow too.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
...NOT ONLY for tall drivers! I am 5' 9" and that door corner is right at my upper cheek bone. And I've brushed against it too. As mentioned the door contour is swept backward much more than the previous generation XC60. We must be mindful during exit and entry. But I'd consider it a design flaw - they had the opportunity for many prototypes to see this ergonomic issue before making the tooling. /industrialdesignerrantover

·
Registered
684 Posts
I never cease to be amazed at some of the things people call design defects.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I'm 6'2" and my wife 5'10" and neither one of use has had this issue when exiting our 2019 XC60; maybe we just stand upright when getting in lol! I'll take a look later when I get home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
happened once to me- now lean back to open door- no big deal!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have to admit this is a new one on me as well. I'm 6'5 and haven't had this happen.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've not had a problem and I'm about 6'0.
I assume that you'll learn to avoid it quickly after getting whacked a few times. :D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I can only hope you’ve just bolstered the business case for a 3-door XC60 derivative, aka XC Coupe.

Plus Volvo could now pick up all those would-be Evoque 3-door owners...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not even smaller drivers are safe, if you have the air suspension and the easy entry activated.
I feel like a ninja everytime I see that corner fly by just a few centimeters from my corneas, after a quick movement.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 5'9 and never noticed this until reading this thread. Now I feel that every time I get in/out of the car, I have a near death experience. Never actually had the corner physically touch me though no matter how aware or unaware I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ouch

I'm 5' 9" and I smashed myself in the face this morning. If I didn't have sunglasses on, I would have really messed myself up. Somehow, my sunglasses remained unscathed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe the "tall drivers" part is relative. If you're 6 foot tall the top of the door will be eye level. It has much more curve than a lot of vehicles, and if you're used to being very close to the opening door it could be a problem.

I've been driving my 2019 for around 8 months, and I've gotten close quite a few times but no damage. Now hitting the liftgate is another story, but one of my own fault.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts