SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some issues with my driver side door on my 2011 XC70. It came out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago, at first on occasion, but now it is pretty much permanent. The car thinks that the door always is open, and the big issue with that is that I can’t lock the car…it instantly unlock it again, both with the key and with the lock button on the inside door panel. I have the keyless system.

My first thought went to the microswitch in the lock module. I took it all apart and it all looked fine. Nothing missing, snagging or anything like that. The microswitch visually/mechanically looked fine. I still decided to try a failsafe solution (given that the microswitch actually works) and removed the plastic toggle that act on the microswitch as the door open and close. The toggle push in the microswitch in the open position so removing the toggle would therefore trick the car into thinking the door is always closed…right? Anyway, put it all back together and still the car thinks the door is open. My next thought was therefore to replace the lock module because I concluded with that the microswitch is fried and gives a «oped door» signal even though it is closed.

But…I have noticed that intermittently the open door warning on the instrument panel will go out at everything is fine again. But never for long. Sometimes it will go out as i fully open the door, men after a few open/close cycles it will reappear. So my next thought is that there is a fault somewhere in the wire harness…the protective foam around the wires was in bad shape and brittle. But did not see any broken wires, but that does not mean there is no damage. Could this be the main problem? The wire harness?

What do you guys think? Should I start with replacing the wire harness or the lock module? Or should i just replace both since I already need to take everything apart?

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Failure cause: Damaged door harness wiring.

Failure description: The zip tie has chafed through the wire (or multiple wires) in the door harness, causing intermittent or no operation of the door position switch.

The bad news - it's the wiring harness on the car side, not in the door.
To be able to gain access to the wires the door has to be removed from the vehicle. Unlock and remove the connector from the door. Undo the bolt for the door stay (Torx 40). The door hinges can be split in the middle by removing the 10mm bolts holding them together. Lift door off of the hinge bushings.
Carefully pull the rubber covering for the harness out of position from the lower a pillar. Even more carefully peel back the rubber from around the connector and gain as much slack as you need. The damage will be obvious. Splice in some more wire to give enough slack so the failure doesn't repeat. Soldering is normally bad but butt connectors can lead to even more damage in the long run because of their bulkiness.

Reassemble in reverse order.

Caution: The lower door hinge bushing is integral to the car side hinge. It is not intended to be replaced without welding on a new hinge part. Do not use force and don't overtighten. The bushing will strip, leading to slop.
Caution²: Do not lift the door by the door handle. It is recommended to lower the window prior to undoing the plug.
Caution³: Remove zip tie from passenger side front door to avoid the same failure occuring again.

It is recommened to replace the door lock if deemed financially okay. A redesigned version with rubber covering, to avoid winter ingress and the door lock freezing in low temperature weather, has been made available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for that comprehensive reply!

I actually was wondering about the car side of the harness today beacause of me moving the door would sometimes make the open door warning go away...also showing me that removing the toggle on the microswitch worked since the car was thinking that the door was closed in the open position 😛 I tried to sneak a peak but access was to tight so my plan was to remove the door tomorrow for better access. Good to know I am going down the right road.

Do you happend to know what gauge wire I need to get for the repair?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Took the door of today and yes, pretty much every wire had damage on them. Most of them just to the insulation, but one was cut and another hanging on by a thread (literary). Spliced it all together and now all is good! When I get home from vacation I'm gonna have to check the passenger side also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that was pretty much how things looked here as well.

I just put out the fire today with limited tools and supplies since I am on vacation, probably looked a bit weird that I just took the door of my car out in public 😂...gonna go back in later and do a more permanent fix and also do the other side that probably is a fault waiting to happend 😛

1 - 6 of 6 Posts