SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out running errands and wanted to hit the cheap gas station as my last stop. It was showing between 85 to 50 miles to empty for the last 30 miles or so of highway driving and I was about 15 miles away when I got on the city streets. Then when it showed 40 miles to empty the engine started loosing power, and 20 seconds later it died. Luckily I was able to coast through a green light and right up to a gas pump at another station. Has anyone else run out of gas early like that?

Registered
Nope. Too worried that would happen to me. Good luck for you to coast into the 'pits' like that. Did you pick up a lotto ticket while you were there. 馃槑

Registered
Happened to me too when trip computer was saying "30km to empty tank" I wasn't as lucky as you. Had to walk and pick up gas container, then walk to the gas station and back to the car. Then drive with the car to same gas station to put more than 10 litres in it. Not fun.

Registered
Happy Thank Given to All and have a Safe Holiday .

I have had that come on before , but I head right for the Station , as it's Not good to run the tank low - the Fuel Pump could over heat .

Then I'd have to pay someone to replace most likely or to Towed Home , don't wish to be doing either one of those . :beer:

Registered
Mine is the opposite as well as the trip computer in my mom's 08 xc70. In both cars I have driven at least 5 to10 miles after the trip computer drops to just dashes. --- miles to empty. And then when I do fill up I still have more than a gallon of gas left in the tank

Registered
The computer calculates your miles by your most recent driving style; if you switch from highway to city it might not have enough time to adjust, especially if you Vin Diesel the lights. I'm not sure the EXACT time or mileage, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people will be able to chime in about that one.

Registered
Mine is the opposite as well as the trip computer in my mom's 08 xc70. In both cars I have driven at least 5 to10 miles after the trip computer drops to just dashes. --- miles to empty. And then when I do fill up I still have more than a gallon of gas left in the tank
me too, but after filling up i realised i was driving on 0.2 gallons left

Registered
The computer calculates your miles by your most recent driving style; if you switch from highway to city it might not have enough time to adjust, especially if you Vin Diesel the lights. I'm not sure the EXACT time or mileage, I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people will be able to chime in about that one.
Not more knowledgeable, but I do remember reading about that when I got my s40. It's based on your last 20 miles of driving. From my owner's manual:

Registered
Hmm I hate to say but there is still a analogue gauge quite visible that shows you're in the red and probably on the last tick mark! . . . :p

In the end this is all due to the fact that these T5 engines have a huge gas consumption difference between highway and city driving.
The T5 is efficient at speed but eats a lot of gas on acceleration. As a result the miles to empty function is easily fooled when you've done some highway driving for a time and then come off on city street with many lights.
So it works for most of the time if your driving conditions does not change or when it had time to recalculate the proper average. I'm sure they could do better but...

In short, don't push your empty tank when your on the highway. You just need to be aware of that and you'll be fine the next time around :p ...

Registered
Should never let any car get below 1/4 tank anyway. Really hard to break people of that. I usually fill up my vehicles around 1/2 tank. Costs the same to fill the top half as it does to fill the bottom half.

I read somewhere that our system has a dump valve on it where it will run the pump continuously and dump fuel into the reserve to keep the pump cool when the tank gets below 1/4. So it shouldnt over heat but puts a lot of run time on it if you tend to run it low.

I like watching the miles to empty go up when I get on the highway after a lot of city driving. Its like my car is making gas.

Registered
Costs the same to fill the top half as it does to fill the bottom half.
I wish that were true... We use some grocery store saving card on gas and the more I can buy in one shot the more I save! Last time I bought 21 gallons of gas for 2$ a gallon...
I don't like doing that but what do you want .... you'v got to fight greed :p

I like watching the miles to empty go up when I get on the highway after a lot of city driving. Its like my car is making gas.
I know what you mean, Lol...

Registered
I trust mine. I run it down to the --- before ever fill up. I really don't go past that because it means 12.5 miles left. Then the tank takes like 13 gallons to fill up again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts