·
Registered
17,406 Posts
You’re gonna need more than one roll of that... lol

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The tape will dry up and start to come off.

Sonny boy I've been using it for 30 years but yes if you cheap out and buy inferior product then yes your Dollar Tree tape will come off... and I had cars that were in my possession for 15 years and nothing was coming off.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The tape will dry up and start to come off.
You’ve been using cheap tape.
3M 33 and 88 are both Excellent electrical tapes.
Sure, you’ll pay more for one roll than a 10 pack of
crappy tape, but you really do get what you pay for.

That said, I have never needed to over wrap split-
loom like that. Kinda seems like a waste of tape.
I must be missing something - What is the advantage?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

my gosh where have you been?...once wrapped the plastic covering will NEVER crumble = never have to redo harness.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts

Just touching the harness on my '06 causes the loom to come apart. After doing a trans R&R my harness is largely bare.

And under the coil cover... oy! I had a problem with the ignition fuse blowing every time the car sat for a while. Turns out not only is all the loom gone under there, but the insulation on the wiring is so brittle that just touching it makes it fall of the wire. For now I made "diapers" of electrical tape under the parts where it was shorting to the cylinder head, but I need to replace it all... and cheapass me is waiting for a COP Volvo to show up at the junkyards, instead of paying $9 or so a terminal times 15 terminals, plus wire. (But I have enough scavanged wiring harness that I could probably scare up enough correct-colored wire to satisfy my OCD-ness) Or I could just pay $50 a pigtail times five, if I want a mass of white wires...

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Silicone Fusion tape is a much better way to go than old school sticky gooey electrical tape. No goopy glue.

https://www.permatex.com/products/a...adhesives/permatex-self-fusing-silicone-tape/

have you ever wrapped a complete engine harness? and owned that car or customer car for a decade or two to see how it actually holds up ? we'd love to see your work...let see them pics... :beer: the pics i posted , most of that harness was done 9 years ago...what goopy stuff you're talking about...:facepalm:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
my gosh where have you been?...once wrapped the plastic covering will NEVER crumble = never have to redo harness.
Fairbanks, Alaska! It must be the climate here...
The loom on my 20 year old P80 is fine! ;)
In fact, I've never seen loom on a car that's
always lived here crumble. We're cool and dry.

And silicone fusion tape is pretty slick, but it's also
mega expensive! 3M 70 is many times the price of
good old 33. I save 70 for very special occaisions.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Silicone Fusion tape is a much better way to go than old school sticky gooey electrical tape. No goopy glue.

https://www.permatex.com/products/a...adhesives/permatex-self-fusing-silicone-tape/
That's the nice thing about 33/88 - It's doesn't get all nasty.
Honestly, blow a few bucks on a roll and check it out.
You'll never want to use the cheap stuff for anything
permanent again. And you get a very useful plastic
container/parts tray/whiffle hockey puck with every roll!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked up a ton of that 3M 70 for a project I have now, it looks like the Tesa harness tape will work perfect with it.

see there , you removed the oem plastic cover from the harness...and than just look at it...no way that beats the Klean oem look and protection...if that was my harness i would have to sell that R with the harness taped up like that.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Boeing uses 3M/Scotch 70 silicone fusion tape on aircraft, if you want an indicator of what is a superior although rather expensive product.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Boeing uses 3M/Scotch 70 silicone fusion tape on aircraft, if you want an indicator of what is a superior although rather expensive product.

Yes they also use jet propulsion if you want to use that as indicator of what Superior although rather expensive product...:D

·
3,958 Posts
see there , you removed the oem plastic cover from the harness...and than just look at it...no way that beats the Klean oem look and protection...if that was my harness i would have to sell that R with the harness taped up like that.

Yeah, I'll pass on dry rotted brittle plastic. I'll stick with what the germans use.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts