SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loved my dealer up until last year. They were fair, honest, and reasonably priced.

Things have changed since, my old service advisor has left, the trust is gone with the new guy. Last visit cost me $2K and while the car was there, he called too see if I had another $2K lying around to address some upcoming maintenance.

Yeah, everyone has $4K handy to give ya. Oh, and now I have some returning and new issues since that visit.

Anyhow, like to find an honest indie shop that knows their R's somewhere between D.C./Baltimore/Dover,DE.

Thanks for any input-

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I still do a lot of my maintenence at Bill Kidd's Volvo in Timonium, MD. Besides that fact that they're really close to me, they are quick, inexpensive(compared to my experiences at Koons Volvo [Owings Mills, MD] + Gengras Volvo [Meriden, CT]), and really courteous. They have two lead service advisors (Dean and Bob), and both make you feel like the service is rather personal.

That being said, I would recommend Han's Auto Inc in Owings Mills, MD. Though I personally have not done much there, my mom's '96 850 got a lot of work done there, and my grandfather has been a loyal customer for 20+ years with all his Volvo's. When I was there literally three days ago, there were no R's there getting serviced, but the owner drives a 1999? V70R.

Bill Kidd's Volvo
107 Industry Lane Cockeysville, MD 21030
(877) 656-6120

Han's Auto Inc.
10716 Reisterstown Road Owings Mills, MD 21117
(410) 363-0153

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
It's funny what a difference a service advisor makes. Wish you luck in finding a good indy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fascinating the parallel universe we live in.. The EXACT same thing happened here in St. Louis; a good friend of ours was let go from our local dealer for producing profit margins that were "too low".. The spiel they gave everyone was that he requested "early retirement." haha.. And shortly after, the quality of their repairs, accuracy of diagnoses, price, everything went downhill to the point that my folks abandoned decades of Volvo ownership and drew me to a local indie who I've been using now for years. -Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I used to live in Cockeysville.

A little out of the way for me now, but maybe worth the trip if nothing's closer.

Thanks for the recommendation-

I think Han's worked on my co-workers 240DL for 20 years and yeah, he loved the service there.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Definitely check out Han's though. If it means anything, I went there to get my winter tires installed. Bill Kidd's wanted $100 for the installation which they said would take 2 hours, and Han's did it in 30 minutes for $40.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Definitely check out Han's though. If it means anything, I went there to get my winter tires installed. Bill Kidd's wanted $100 for the installation which they said would take 2 hours, and Han's did it in 30 minutes for $40.
Yeah some places are funny like that. I use my local firestone a lot for alignments and tires, and they are always pretty cool with me about getting stuff done really quickly. I don't use them for oil changes anymore, but every time I go in there someone walks in for an oil change and they say it will be about an HOUR. ONE HOUR FOR A ****ING OIL CHANGE? It's not that - It's that people actually sit and wait for it. I would take my car over to lube pros in a heartbeat and save me the extra 45 minutes, if I even bothered to have someone change my oil for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts