SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been thinking for a while. Has anyone here with the SC-900/SC-901 upgraded the speakers from stock, and if so, what did you use. I'm interested in refreshing my sound system in my car but I'm not even sure where to begin, as when it comes to audio, I'm basically a newb. I don't even know if it's worth upgrading speakers, or just leaving them stock.

The picture painted in my head so far is utilizing the stock system with fresh speakers and a dedicated subwoofer. My biggest beef with the system is it seems the speakers can't handle the systems output at higher volumes, particularly with the bass. Is that a limitation of the speakers or the system itself? :confused: I'm interested in keeping the stock system as I still listen to CDs, and I have the in-dash 3-disc changer, multiple 3-disc cartridges, and a Volvo 6-disc changer for the rear.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
These cars shipped with pretty nice speakers.
( Some even came with very nice Dynaudios.)

If your existing speakers haven't been trashed,
start with the subwoofer and you may be just
fine with your system after that.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Do you have the Dolby center dash speaker and processor? I've added just the processor and it helps enrich the sound. Also, these radios can be programmed to the car they are in. There is a mode setting for v70, s70 and c70, iirc. This will make a difference in the sound quality as well. Google sc901 settings and you'll find out more about this amazing stock upgraded radio system.
Dan

·
Registered
354 Posts
If your stock system is in good shape, I'd leave it at that and maybe add a subwoofer. I am actually amazed at how good the stock system in this car sounds with the 901 head-unit. It does not sound appreciably worse than another one of my cars that has thousands of dollars invested in it. If you are getting distortion, check that you don't have physical damage to any of the speakers.

Note that changing the speakers is not 'hard' in these cars, but it requires some effort. You'll have to remove the door panels, which will inevitably mean re-gluing the door panel clips, and the speakers are fit in a customized housing that you will have to modify or work around.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have an SC901, without the center speaker of course, cuz Ive been trying to get one forever now, and I upgraded all my door speakers with some Polk Auido units and they are much much much better and have a good amount of bass, which was needed as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i'm assuming the 901 has a Sub out ?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Aftermarket speakers will absolutely sound better and handle more power than stock. Usually the first thing I do when I buy a Volvo. Get two piece component speakers for the front, they're easy to install in the factory locations.

If sound is important at all to you, spend a little on good stuff. I don't even run an amplifier in my V70 and people always comment on how good it sounds. I just run a Kenwood head unit and Polk speakers. It's mid-grade quality stuff, I spent around $300 on the head unit and about $200 on the front speakers, $100 on the rear speakers.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Same here, polk 2 piece

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
After I bought my ultra low mileage Silver 2000 a few years ago, the first thing I did was add a center speaker
Became better
Then I found what were supposedly the last new set of new in the box, Dynaudio speakers.
They went in complete along with COMPLETELY covering the doors the hatch area sides AND the spare tire area with Dynamat.
The result was very close to being absolutely awesome!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have the SC901 with the center speaker channel. I was happy with my stereo once I added a sub & found the hidden equalizer settings in the unit. The eq settings alone make a big difference.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I agree, the secret settings make a good difference

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do have the Dolby center speaker/processor with a 901. I will have to use the "secret settings" and plan accordingly from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts