SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Dolby PL system with my AE, which has been cancelled, and now I've ordered the Executive S80, FDC sometime in October 02. My question is how does the DPL compare to the THX systems? Isn't the DPL a bit old? I also see the button on the HU-801 for the rear seat passengers. How does this work? Does it just shut off the center channel and DPL, and how does that sound then? Curious why THX not being offered on the latest models. <BR>Best from Bavaria! Rick<P>'03 S80 Executive, silver/off-black leather, Dolby Pro Logic system, rear radar,<BR>wood steering wheel, locking nuts, delivery FDC OCT '02

·
Registered
194 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bavarianami:<BR><B>My question is how does the DPL compare to the THX systems? Isn't the DPL a bit old? I also see the button on the HU-801 for the rear seat passengers. How does this work? Does it just shut off the center channel and DPL, and how does that sound then? Curious why THX not being offered on the latest models. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Comparing DPL and THX is like comparing apples and oranges. DPL is a matrix decoder that extracts four audio channels from two channels. THX is a specifaction that certifies that the audio system adheres to the requirements set up by Lucasfilm. THX certification can relate to things like decoder accuracy, crossover slopes, amplifier bandwidth and power, speaker directivity, movie theatre seating layout etc. So a THX certified system can contain one or several surround decoders like DPL, DTS, Dolby Digital etc. From the beginning THX was only certifying movie theatres but they have now expanded their business to cover home theatre, PC games, studio systems and now also car audio. Lincoln is the first company to introduce a THX certified audio system, I'm not sure exactly what this means regarding system performance and features.<P>DPL has been available in car audio systems since 1997 when it was introduced by Volvo in the C70 model. Since then other surround systems have been presented by other manufacturers, Logic 7 by BMW for example.<P>This year Volvo introduces the new <A HREF="http://www.dolby.com" TARGET=_blank>Dolby Pro Logic II</A> as a factory option in the XC90, again first in the automotive world. DPLII is a major improvement over DPL in that it is a 5.1 system with full bandwidth also in the rear channels, a wider and more stable soundstage and a quicker decoder action. It operates in a special music mode that is further enhanced for automotive use by Volvo in cooperation with Dolby Labs.<P>Volvo doesn't offer THX since it is not adding any value to the customer in this case. Volvo does its own system integration and specifies all system parameters in-house. A THX certification would be the same as moving this work from Volvo to Lucasfilm. Considering Volvos track record when it comes to audio system performance (especially compared to Lincoln) it would be an expensive gamble to leave this work to an external company and thus adding cost without any guarantee that it would result in a better system for the customer. Instead the money is used for real improvements like high quality speakers, specially adapted surround decoders, high performance amplifiers etc.<P>The S80 Executive is a special vehicle where the audio system is optimised for the rear seat so the Pro Logic decoder is tuned to give a good sound in the rear seat instead of the front seat that is the case for the other Volvos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts