SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll spare the long and boring story, but a month after getting my 04 SR MT, my four-year-old chocolate lab will be moving back in with me. If I had known beforehand I would've paid a little extra for the VR on the same lot!

I know it may seem blasphemous to some, but I'd like some advice on the best way to transport an 80+lb. dog around in my back seat. Anyone else do this? What's the best way to keep that brown fur off my Nordkap leather? Any products I should know about?

I'm ecstatic to get my dog back living with me, but I fear I'll be reluctant to take him places in an effort to keep my near spotless interior as new as possible.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Love chocolate labs! Wrap the seat with a rugged blanket like a U-haul padding blanket, or even two of them. But if he's like my old lab, he'll want to be in the front seat anyway..

We of course need to see pictures of your buddy in order to properly assist.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Ha. I wouldn't let a dog in my car unless it was the size of a bunny. If I had a VR, it could work....

Sorry that you'll have to deal with that. lol I do love dogs though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll spare the long and boring story, but a month after getting my 04 SR MT, my four-year-old chocolate lab will be moving back in with me. If I had known beforehand I would've paid a little extra for the VR on the same lot!

I know it may seem blasphemous to some, but I'd like some advice on the best way to transport an 80+lb. dog around in my back seat. Anyone else do this? What's the best way to keep that brown fur off my Nordkap leather? Any products I should know about?

I'm ecstatic to get my dog back living with me, but I fear I'll be reluctant to take him places in an effort to keep my near spotless interior as new as possible.
My VR's PO had kids and had a special cover made for about $200 at an upholsterer's shop. That was in CO, but I'm sure you could find an upholstery shop that would do the same.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My VR's PO had kids and had a special cover made for about $200 at an upholsterer's shop. That was in CO, but I'm sure you could find an upholstery shop that would do the same.
I would get covers for the doors too... Don't want to scratch up that Scottish leather.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I wonder if this would work for our cars:

http://circlebmwparts.com/cgi/acc/e...eries=e92&view_records=View+Records&mh=1&nh=7

They also make a specific door cover for the E9x's that clips into where the door card meets the window.

Currently, I use a dog hammock from Dr's Foster & Smith, a queen size comforter blanket, and two towels to give extra padding and quarantine off the doors - using this with 2 35lb dogs and a 10lb dog...

·
Registered
198 Posts
OP, I have a 85 lb yellow lab. Don't worry about the hair getting on your nordkap as it can be vacuumed easily. The hair that gets on the carpet takes a little effort but the rear speaker area is the PITA spot. Brown hair will somewhat blend in, but the yellow hair I have completely sucks. Granted, I don't transport him daily, not even once a week some times, but it still happens. He's a good dog and listens so he never puts a paw up on the door. I use 2 blankets and one seat cover for dogs. First blanket lines the back of the seats all the way down to the carpet by releasing the seats down and tucking the blanket behind, that'll lock it in. Then comes the seat cover for dogs; it has 2 straps that go around the head rest. My last blanket sits on the seat and completely covers the floor to the front seats. I'm at work right now and don't have a picture but I can take one tonight. Almost 3 years with the car and dog, and not a single scratch.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My step dad had hair on every inch of his 850 Turbo from his white mut. It was EVERYWHERE, and it wouldn't come out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a 60 pound pit bull (Shiner) and he rides everywhere with me in my SR. If you do use a blanket you have to made sure that it is secure because you know how dogs are. They will slide around and it will end up not even covering the seat. The Gobi interior isn't bad because his white hair doesn't show up but in my convertible mustang the black interior shows his hair everywhere. You just have to stay on top of keeping it clean in the dark interior.

I'm looking for a back seat cover that will keep him from come from the back to the from and back to the back. HAHA. I want something like posted earlier that will snap in place. he likes sticking his head out of the sun roof and over the top of the windshield on the vert.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the great ideas. I think I'm gonna look into a hammock type cover. I didn't even think of the door leather, so that'll definitely need some protection too.

I'll post some pictures of the pup when I'm home from work.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My black lab only goes with me when I'm driving the wife's Passat. :)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's some pictures of the brown fur to soon cover my beautiful car:

As you can tell, he's not the sit-still-in-the-car kind of dog:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I wonder if this would work for our cars:

http://circlebmwparts.com/cgi/acc/e...eries=e92&view_records=View+Records&mh=1&nh=7

They also make a specific door cover for the E9x's that clips into where the door card meets the window.

Currently, I use a dog hammock from Dr's Foster & Smith, a queen size comforter blanket, and two towels to give extra padding and quarantine off the doors - using this with 2 35lb dogs and a 10lb dog...
That's pretty good back seat coverage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts