SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A damn dog jumped all over my XC90 today, leaving an infuriating number of small, light scratches all over my pristine metallic red. Washing and hand waxing has not removed them, but it looks like they are just in the clear coat. Would a bodyshop be able to remove them?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Dog Damage (Cabot)

The used car dealership fix is to lightly spray lacquer on the scratch and then rub-out the over spray. All you're trying to do is fill the scratch in the clear coat.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Dog Damage (robtr8)

Thanks robtr8. How well does that remove the scratches? Is there a non-used car dealership way to fix it, short of repainting all the doors?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Dog Damage (Cabot)

Try using a hand glaze like the one from 3M. This is gentle on the paint but will fill in swirl marks and minor scratches. Make sure the buffing towels and applicator you use are 100% cotton. Ones made in the USA are 100% cotton if the label states that. Foreign towels can have some polyester in them even though they say 100% cotton. Afeter using the glaze you will need to give the paint a coat or two of wax or polymer sealer. Do not use the glaze in direct sunlight.<p><A HREF="http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10103" TARGET="_blank">http://www.carcareonline.com/d...10103</A><p><A HREF="http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10113" TARGET="_blank">http://www.carcareonline.com/d...10113</A><p>Here is a link to a website I have been using for several years. He has good write ups on car care and various products.<p><A HREF="http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=5" TARGET="_blank">http://www.carcareonline.com/v...art=5</A>

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Dog Damage (napster)

<p>I hear that dog hide gets rid of scratches and future problems also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Dog Damage (dmd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dmd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I hear that dog hide gets rid of scratches and future problems also.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I was thinking the same thing. How did the dog get all over your XC90 Cabot?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Napster. I appreciate all the input. I've seen some of those products on my favorite detailing website.<p>dmd- I was thinking that, too. And hanging a "lucky" dog's foot from my rear view mirror should protect me from future attacks. <p>Gomboman- I went to visit some family and they have a young rather undisciplined Vizela who came running at me and jumped all over my side and the passenger side, clawing to get attention. She even scratched up the silver Volvo door sil protectors and the paint in that area. For a small dog, she jumped up high enough to gouge my door handle and scratch all along the beautiful "shoulder" of the car. All this after I spent two hours detailing and applying a few coats of P21S caranuba wax. Needless to say, lunch was ruined that day and I placed an order for a taser (not really).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: (Cabot)

May I respecfully submit that it is the owner who needs to be shot, not the poorly trained dog. There in no excuse for domesticated children or dogs without manners.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Re: (robtr8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>robtr8</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">May I respecfully submit that it is the owner who needs to be shot, not the poorly trained dog. There in no excuse for domesticated children or dogs without manners.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I agree with this. Im not a big fan of moron dog owners who cant even train themselves or dogs/kids.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dog training-I'm glad you two have brought this up, because I could use some advice. I go in next month for warranty work and the dealership is going to look at the damage. I think worst case is they will have to wet sand the clear coat and reapply it, resulting in an ugly bill. <p>I've had this car for four months and it is/was pristine. It was my uncle's dog that did it and I would like to send the bill his way. Has anyone been through this before? <p>I feel awkward about it, but every time I think about that animal clawing at my new car, I get quite angry. I haven't said anything to him yet and I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I also don't need to pay for failure to train a dog. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,307 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Cabot</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I feel awkward about it, but every time I think about that animal clawing at my new car, I get quite angry. I haven't said anything to him yet and I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I also don't need to pay for failure to train a dog. Any thoughts? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>When you say you haven't said anything to him yet - is he not yet aware of the damage done by his dog?<br>If not, springing it on him after the visit will be awkward indeed. Doing so might strain family ties, regardless of the fact that it was his animal that did it. If it's not worth potentially hurting family relationships, I'd not press for reimbursement.<p>If, however, he IS aware, it will be easier to broach the subject with him, but the outcome may not be what you'll expect - but then again, only you can guage his reaction.<p>Best of luck. I'd certainly try some off the shelf remedies prior to having work done at a shop. <br>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1sttimevolvo- He knows it happened but I haven't said anything about forwarding a bill. He has nice cars that are cosmetically trashed, so its harder for him to understand where I come from with my museum-like car care. I think you are right though about not pressing for reimbursement. I don't think it would strain anything, but I know that for myself, every time I visited I would be self conscious about the fact that I sent a bill. <p>I've tried suggested methods of removing them, but there are so many scratches and my efforts have not done anything to get rid of them. I think I'll just have an autobody shop fix it and pretend it never happened. I'll go see if Volvo has any accessories in the baseball bat or blunt object category for my next visit.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Cabot</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dog training-I'm glad you two have brought this up, because I could use some advice. I go in next month for warranty work and the dealership is going to look at the damage. I think worst case is they will have to wet sand the clear coat and reapply it, resulting in an ugly bill. <p>I've had this car for four months and it is/was pristine. It was my uncle's dog that did it and I would like to send the bill his way. Has anyone been through this before? <p>I feel awkward about it, but every time I think about that animal clawing at my new car, I get quite angry. I haven't said anything to him yet and I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I also don't need to pay for failure to train a dog. Any thoughts? </TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>This is a tough one if you ask me, people are VERY touchy about their dogs. I actually had this happen to me a while back with my parent's idiot dog. They have a huge Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Well, I had loaded everything up in my pickup and was getting ready to head back home. I was leaning on the hood talking to my dad when the dog jumped up on the side to stand by me. Well, in the process, he put 4 huge claw marks on the side of the hood when I pushed him down. I was pretty upset, but didn't make a big deal out of it. Well, I went inside to get something else and I mention to my mom that her dog put three nice claw marks on my hood, didn't say it like an a$$hole or anything, just mentioned it. <p>Well, I am pretty upset about it, they never really even reacted to it or apologized. I get back to Kansas City and my dad calls and rips me a new one for hurting my mom's feelings by commenting that THEIR DOG JUMPED ON MY HOOD!!! I was floored! I actually anticipated the call coming and they would apologize for their dumba$$ dog jumping on my nice black pickup. I let him vent and simply dropped it and hung up. I WAS FUMING!!! <p>Anyway, nothing was ever mentioned about it again, but you have to be careful with people's dogs, they are pretty protective. <p>On a side note, I used my Porter Cable DA Polisher with my Zaino PC and worked my way up to the Z2 and took care of them. <p>Good luck my friend, you're in a pickle.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweded- at this point, that's what I'm hoping for. <p>Husker Z- Thanks for your story. I would be fuming too. I cannot understand why people can get so touchy about their dogs. Especially when they know thier dog is A) an idiot, B) had misbehaved badly before, and C) never do anything to fix the dog's behavior. <p>If my car was more than four months old and not in perfect condition, I would have been less angry. Apparently this dog failed three months of intensive dog school. They should have marked it up and shipped it on to some unsuspecting family with a doorless Jeep Wrangler.<p>Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to get this fixed, eat the bill, and pretend it never happened until I start to believe it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Cabot</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweded- at this point, that's what I'm hoping for. <p>Husker Z- Thanks for your story. I would be fuming too. I cannot understand why people can get so touchy about their dogs. Especially when they know thier dog is A) an idiot, B) had misbehaved badly before, and C) never do anything to fix the dog's behavior. <p>If my car was more than four months old and not in perfect condition, I would have been less angry. Apparently this dog failed three months of intensive dog school. They should have marked it up and shipped it on to some unsuspecting family with a doorless Jeep Wrangler.<p>Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to get this fixed, eat the bill, and pretend it never happened until I start to believe it. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>That sucks man, good luck to you. It's really a no-win situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts