SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently noticed that after driving for about 30 minutes (work to home), I stopped off to get the mail at the mailbox (put the car in park) and noticed that though I didn't press on the ignition/stop button, I opened my driver side door to get out and the engine turned off. I found that weird as I recall going to the mailbox before and getting out of the car and the engine didn't turn off (though I may only driven 10-15 minutes and maybe a shorter distance during those other times).

So after picking up the mail, I got back into my car and pressed the ignition/stop button to start the car again... I drove about 20 seconds to my garage and pulled into my garage, put the car in park and opened my driver door and the engine did not turn off. So I found it strange... am I not suppose to press the ignition/stop button before I get out of my car? Why would my engine turn off automatically without me pressing on the ignition/stop button when I get out of the car?

Anyone know how and when the ignition turns off? I always have my remote key in my pockets and not in the remote slot under the ignition/stop button. My vehicle is the 2015.5 XC 60 T5.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I have never heard of such thing...Engine should turn off only when you push the ignition button...

·
Registered
838 Posts
This is only a guess. You stated that you keep the keys in your pocket, could it be the distance between the car and your mail box causes the car to shut off? the loss of signal between the car and the keys. Also having the keys in your pocket reduces the signal. Try leaving the key on the center console the next time, and see if the car shuts off.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
when I drop my wife off at work, I stop and put the car in park, and the engine shuts itself off due to start/stop, and we are typically in eco mode. Granted the car turns off before she opens her door. I open the trunk, she gets her stuff, then after its closed I shift to drive and the car comes back on.

Try disabling auto start/stop to eliminate that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've not had this happen, however i have forgotten to turn mine off after walking into the house.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is only a guess. You stated that you keep the keys in your pocket, could it be the distance between the car and your mail box causes the car to shut off? the loss of signal between the car and the keys. Also having the keys in your pocket reduces the signal. Try leaving the key on the center console the next time, and see if the car shuts off.
Though I do keep the key fob in my jacket pocket, the distance from the car to the mailbox is about 10' or so... and when I open the driver door to get out the key fob is still in my pocket and I am still in the car when I get out when the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when I drop my wife off at work, I stop and put the car in park, and the engine shuts itself off due to start/stop, and we are typically in eco mode. Granted the car turns off before she opens her door. I open the trunk, she gets her stuff, then after its closed I shift to drive and the car comes back on.

Try disabling auto start/stop to eliminate that.
Hmmmmmmm... interesting... I do have have the start/stop function on and usually in eco mode. I will try to disable the start/stop function and see what happes... Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine does this too and what I've found is if the auto stop/start kicks in and you open the driver side door it turns it off. I'm assuming this is from a safety/security perspective. If any other door opens its fine but if it thinks the driver has stepped out it turns off. You can defeat this by disabling the auto stop/start before opening the door has been what I've found. Let me know if this seems to line up with what you see...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine does this too and what I've found is if the auto stop/start kicks in and you open the driver side door it turns it off. I'm assuming this is from a safety/security perspective. If any other door opens its fine but if it thinks the driver has stepped out it turns off. You can defeat this by disabling the auto stop/start before opening the door has been what I've found. Let me know if this seems to line up with what you see...
Hi dups, thanks for your reply. I went to my dealer today and spoke to the service guy and he confirmed exactly what you replied to me. So I am relieved to say the least. Though I've never tried opening any other door other than the driver door when I'm in parked. I always drive with the stop/start feature activated, though the green "A" doesn't always appear on my dash, and when it doesn't appear on my dash and I put the car in park and open up my driver door, the engine doesn't shut off.... Only shuts off when the green "A" appears on my dash.

Thanks again to everyone for replying :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Though I've never tried opening any other door other than the driver door when I'm in parked.
That's the exact description I described, will be the same for you.

I didn't know that about the driver door though, good to know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi dups, thanks for your reply. I went to my dealer today and spoke to the service guy and he confirmed exactly what you replied to me. So I am relieved to say the least. Though I've never tried opening any other door other than the driver door when I'm in parked. I always drive with the stop/start feature activated, though the green "A" doesn't always appear on my dash, and when it doesn't appear on my dash and I put the car in park and open up my driver door, the engine doesn't shut off.... Only shuts off when the green "A" appears on my dash.

Thanks again to everyone for replying :)
I believe the green A on the instrument cluster comes on when the stop/start is active. I don't mean on or enabled but when the engine is off because it is in that mode. I believe the indicator is intended to show that the engine is off because start/stop is active if that makes sense. It is only in this mode, when the A is on your instrument cluster, that opening the driver's side door would shut off the car. At least that's been my experience and seems to make sense to me. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts