SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that after I park my MY12 T6 in the garage and turn it off, a high-pitched whine comes from the engine compartment. It stops after about five minutes.

I looked under the hood. This radiator fan wasn't running.

I think the sound was coming from under the front of engine (actually, the driver's side since the engine is mounted transversely). I suspect this is normal operation -- but it sounds ungodly and unlike any other engine noise I've heard from a modern engine.

Have you noticed this whine on your car? Any idea of what it might be?

The more I live with this car, the less I like it. Just four months into my ownership, the rattles, poor fit and finish and, especially, Sensus are getting on my nerves. It's like a GM product: a wanna-be, not quite there. And crude noises only add to my growing impression of the car as unrefined and badly built.

I'm beginning to think the Volvo brand is a perfect fit for Geely. Plenty-o-bling...but no substance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've noticed that after I park my MY12 T6 in the garage and turn it off, a high-pitched whine comes from the engine compartment. It stops after about five minutes.

I looked under the hood. This radiator fan wasn't running.

I think the sound was coming from under the front of engine (actually, the driver's side since the engine is mounted transversely). I suspect this is normal operation -- but it sounds ungodly and unlike any other engine noise I've heard from a modern engine.

Have you noticed this whine on your car? Any idea of what it might be?

The more I live with this car, the less I like it. Just four months into my ownership, the rattles, poor fit and finish and, especially, Sensus are getting on my nerves. It's like a GM product: a wanna-be, not quite there. And crude noises only add to my growing impression of the car as unrefined and badly built.

I'm beginning to think the Volvo brand is a perfect fit for Geely. Plenty-o-bling...but no substance.
I can't speak to the T6 specifically, but I believe the high pitched whine on any car with ABS has to do with them resetting. My CR-V sounds like that after I turn off the engine (sounds like a jet whine) for about that same amount of time. The S60 loaner we have while we wait for out XC60 to get here from Gothenburg (husband's pos died and Volvo offered us the loaner) has some of the same sounds on cranking (more of a slight groan that disappears) and when shut off. I have been around cars my entire life and these sounds seem always to be associated with ABS systems. I'm not a car mechanic, so some of those that actually do tinker on cars themselves may have a more educated opinion.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My S60 T6 does this. Our xc90 V8 does it too (only louder). As an aside, you are supposed to wait
5 minutes after turning off the ignition before ever disconnecting a battery. I suspect the cars
have to "boot down" and what you are hearing is part of the process where a valve or solenoid is
kept open for some period of time.

In the past, Volvos would also blow the interior fan for a while to clear out condensation and prevent
mildew buildup in the vents (but it does not sound like the fan blowing).

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's the turbo cooling down. If you wait a minute after driving before turning it off it shouldn't do this. My V70R does this as well.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's the turbo cooling down. If you wait a minute after driving before turning it off it shouldn't do this. My V70R does this as well.
Your smay do this but it is NOT what the T6 crowd is hearing. I was installing some accessories this past weekend and heard exactly what you're talking about. It's like she's whining because I shut her down and she wanted to go play some more :)
It is indeed coming from the ABS area. I moved the car around the driveway a couple times cold and it does it each time.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was the turbo as well...but the consensus seems to be that it's ABS. The turbo makes more sense to me. I just can't understand why the ABS needs to be loud...I've never heard it on any other car I've owned with ABS -- over six of them.

As long as it's "normal" I don't care.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Got that sound aswell, but it sounds to me like it's comming from the AC compressor (silver thing on the right hand side of the engine when standing in frton of it)?

/Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts