SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the S60 is really struggling and the T6 engine has been cancelled for it, but hopefully, there is a little soul left in Volvo - Cyan certainly thinks so...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33913137/volvo-p1800-continuation-cyan-racing/
Amazing to be able to get 413hp out of the T6 engine without a supercharger or hybrid!
But of course, Cyan (the original Polestar guys) know how to maximize performance.
There might only be few of us sporting/enthusiast Volvo types out there, but we are very dedicated and loyal.
A coupe or hatchback version of the S60 would sell extremely well, thumping Audi, BMW and Mercedes all day.
And you'd only need ~350hp-375hp to be right there with S4, 340 and C43.
Come on Volvo, don't give up on your sporting ambitions; let the P1800 live on and bring back the true R.
The ICE is not dead yet and my next Volvo will be my 10th, but you need to show me a pulse first...

·
Registered
283 Posts
The other problem with the S60 is the exterior color menu. There is no way you can serve a sports car enthusiast with the boring luxury car colors. Why is something as simple as brash exterior colors an obstacle?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Volvos color pallet is horrible, no doubt there. Plenty of nice colors, but few fun sporty ones.. and fusion red is just not a good red if you're only going to offer one.

I don't understand the complaints about the loss of the T6... A R design T6 on the build and price starts at $48645 USD.... The T8 R design is $54045... had has a $5400 tax credit... Which I don't think is accidently identical to the T6 price then. I think what Volvo has done poorly is have enough of these cars out there for people to experience. But I understand they are actually working to fix this. I think that making them plug is was a marketing mistake, because most consumers imagine they need a charging station. That's not a technical error, but a customer perception error. But it's hard to buy into the loss of the T6 when there is a more powerful option on the table for the same money.

The challenge with the cool cars is they do all have to be individually certified by EPA... What I'm hopeful for is electric cars... it will eliminate a lot of the EPA restrictions on options (manuals even!) and body styles as each variant won't need the expense of recertification. Performance modifications will also not be federal emission violations.

·
Super Moderator
3,772 Posts
Volvos color pallet is horrible, no doubt there. Plenty of nice colors, but few fun sporty ones.. and fusion red is just not a good red if you're only going to offer one.

100 percent agree! Volvo needs some darker reds, IMHO. My first V70 was Venetian Red, which had me hooked on Red Volvos ever since. I would LOVE to see Volvo bring back Venetian or Ruby Red.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
The "soul" is over on the used car side of the dealership in the form of the '15.5-'18 S/V60 Polestar in rebel blue preferably. Still kicking myself for not getting that color - dealer had three of them when I got mine!

·
Registered
283 Posts
For the sports car market, you'd at a minimum offer:
- powder blue (see P1800 demo model above)
- canary yellow
- fiery red

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I might be a decade too old to try climbing in/out of that P1800. I would have had better luck back when they were current and I was in college!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts

I don't understand the complaints about the loss of the T6... A R design T6 on the build and price starts at $48645 USD.... The T8 R design is $54045... had has a $5400 tax credit... Which I don't think is accidently identical to the T6 price then.
I'm equally confused about the complaints. Once you factor in state and local utility rebates, it's even cheaper than the T6, and you get benefits like prime parking spots at a lot of locations, free HOV lane access in certain states, better responsiveness and acceleration, etc. Even if you live somewhere that you can't plug it in, in the city it'll still get better MPGs than the T6, so unless you drive primarily on the highway I'm not sure what's better about the T6.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts