SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Does this look like a good deal?

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  NRM8573 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (NRM8573)

Average

#4 ·

It's for sale at a Subaru dealer?

#8 ·

Quote, originally posted by NRM8573 »

A trade in, but on that topic, could I get a Volvo warrenty still? (If I still have it past 50k/4 years)

Yes, warranty will run you $2k - $2.5k depending on mileage, deduct, years, etc.

I'd say it's a pretty fair deal. I think $27k would be a total steal.

I'd say get it if it checks out.

(P.S. I bought mine at a Subaru dealer in New Hampshire!)

#9 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (needsdecaf)

From the Carfax:

Type of owner Corporate fleet lease

Ehh....that makes me sort of uneasy.

05/02/2005 US Customs Vehicle exported from
Belgium
and imported to
Newark, NJ

????? So it's eurospec then....? Or is that where they're built?

#11 ·
Re: (C130)

Rethinking, I didn't realize it had nav.
Not a bad deal, make them replace the left front spoiler lip (one seems to be missing) and offer 27,500 to 28K
Buy a CPO and you'll be in it for 30K with a long warranty, not too bad.

As for the cooperate lease, no big deal. Just because a cooperation leased it, so what?
One exec probably drove it. Just have it checked out at a Volvo dealer if you want to be secure and have it checked for prior body damage

#12 ·
Re: (JRL)

I bought my 04 s60R from an Izuzu dealer a year ago with 10k miles (no nav) for $27.5 then bought a 5yr 100K for $1,850. Has been a great car so far and the local Volvo dealer here has treated me great even though I did not purchase it there. I would say if it is clean, go for it.

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by NRM8573 »
Thanks for the quick reply.......What would constitute a 'good' deal then? 25k?

If you can get this R at $25K.......do it. IMO, this seems like a reasonable deal though the mileage is a bit high. CHeck the in-service date to see when the warranty began.

#15 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »
If you can get this R at $25K.......do it. IMO, this seems like a reasonable deal though the mileage is a bit high. CHeck the in-service date to see when the warranty began.

Hmm....IDK if they would go that low, also, Subie dealers (at least around here) are a huge pain in the ass.

#16 ·

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Gee... ya think?
They wholesale for more than that
The CHEAPEST 05 at the auctions was $24,900 and that had 29K miles
Most were in the 27 to 29 range (various miles).

#17 ·

Given the miles and equipment on the vehicle, I think the asking price is pretty darn close to spot-on. Obviously, the left front spoiler needs to be replaced.

A couple of things:

1) DEFINITELY take the vehicle to your closest Volvo retailer, and ask them to perform a used vehicle inspection (about 1 hour's labor). This will let you know if the vehicle has any issues that need to be addressed.

2) Check the condition of the tires. If they're close to needing replacement, just remember that replacing them will run you NO LESS THAN A GRAND. Keep that as a negotiation tool in your back pocket.

3) Check the overall condition of the vehicle. Normal wear and tear should be expected at that price point . . . excessive wear and tear should result in a price reduction.

4) You can't get a CPO warranty (only vehicles SOLD by a Volvo retailer can get the CPO warranty), but you can get a Volvo Increased Protection extended warranty . . . coverage is roughly the same, but pricing is different. You might want to get a quote on this coverage from your retailer when you go to get the used vehicle inspection. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT even THINK about getting some third party bull crap warranty from the Subie dealer. You'll be wasting your money.

5) As long as everything's in good shape, you'll be getting a good deal at 29500, and a great deal at 29000 or under.

Best of luck!

#19 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Gee... ya think?
They wholesale for more than that
The CHEAPEST 05 at the auctions was $24,900 and that had 29K miles
Most were in the 27 to 29 range (various miles).

You're the one that called it an "average" deal at $29k?

#20 ·

Low ball them, they may have given $19 or $20K on a trade, I bet they still make $ at $25K, patients is your best negotiating tool, in 30 to 45 days they may take $23K, I have a buddy with a St. Louis Subaru, VW, Hundai, dealership and manual trannys only make up 5% of his total sales, when ever I go to see him for a trade he cringes because he knows I have a manual. That may be amidwest thing though.

Vinny

#21 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (stlvinny)

Quote, originally posted by stlvinny »
Low ball them, they may have given $19 or $20K on a trade

And you base this on? That price range is completely out to lunch; even for a Subaru dealer. Besides, do you really think that the owner would take that much of a bath to get rid of the R?

Would you let your 2004 go at that price?

I bet they still make $ at $25K, patients is your best negotiating tool, in 30 to 45 days they may take $23K.

IMO, very little chance that a deal happens at $25K (and no chance at $23K) but if you have a trade, it's all about the net so they can call the numbers whatever you want to hear.

#22 ·
Re: Does this look like a good deal? (stlvinny)

Low ball them, they may have given $19 or $20K on a trade, I bet they still make $ at $25K, patients is your best negotiating tool, in 30 to 45 days they may take $23K

Yeah. I would laugh at you (to your face), and then sell the R to someone else before you came back 30 to 45 days later. Do you seriously think that when you're looking at a used car, you're the ONLY one looking at it?

#23 ·
Not gonna get that car, I picked it up last week. They wouldn't budge on the price of the car, they actually had a sticker for 35k on the window. I was able to get them to come up on my trade (2003 saab 93), so I got a decent net, the value of those saabs is dropping fast. They wouldn't do anything about the front spoiler, I'll be getting that fixed on my own sometime.

#24 ·
Re: (R_marv)

Quote, originally posted by R_marv »
Not gonna get that car, I picked it up last week. They wouldn't budge on the price of the car, they actually had a sticker for 35k on the window. I was able to get them to come up on my trade (2003 saab 93), so I got a decent net, the value of those saabs is dropping fast. They wouldn't do anything about the front spoiler, I'll be getting that fixed on my own sometime.
A serious negotiater here
, well good luck with the R

#26 ·
Re: (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
Well hey! Congrats on the purchase of your R, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! So far I love the car, and people have been most helpfull here on the forum, I'll be sticking around here for a while I think.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I'll introduce myself and get pictures up in another thread.

~Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.