SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
In an attempt to get ready for the upcoming VCOA National Meet in San Luis Obispo

Mounted to the bench so it's easy to torque the girdle.

Utilizes the dowels for easy locating.

Venolia pistons with some plated exterior hardware.

Pre assembled, checking deck height

New oil pan assembly, with extra capacity and doghouse.

Getting ready to clean parts and assemble short block.

Bottom of new pan.

Aluminum radiator

New Aluminum D088 intercooler

Let the games begin...

·
Registered
898 Posts
What's the build?

Is that an N or RN block? (I see an RN pan, but can't tell about the block)

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
So the radiator doesn't have a built in oil cooler? So this is not going to be a turbo build at all?
I see oil cooler ports on the pan

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
I thought only the auto transmissions had radiator cooler hookups? Didn't I see a clutch/flywheel laying on the table with the other new parts?
-98 all turbos have rad based oil cooler. 99+ it’s oil pan mounted.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Setting the end gap on the rings.

Installing the piston, after the rings have been gapped.

Ran into a small problem with the rods hitting the block. I had dry fit the pistons earlier to check deck height, but didn't check rod clearance.

Had to tear it down, which sucked to lose the time. Toss the block in the mill and add some clearance.

All better now.

·
Registered
17,688 Posts

Setting the end gap on the rings.

Installing the piston, after the rings have been gapped.

Ran into a small problem with the rods hitting the block. I had dry fit the pistons earlier to check deck height, but didn't check rod clearance.

Had to tear it down, which sucked to lose the time. Toss the block in the mill and add some clearance.

All better now.
How long were the new rods?

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
145mm out of a 2.4l low pressure turbo motor with a shorter piston to pin height.
Ah that’s why they didn’t fit. Good solution, carry on. N/early RN only take a 139.5mm rod.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice, CJ!

I don't think you need instructions.
:)

Whats the reason for larger oil capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So you don't suck the pan dry on long sweepers (which I've done before with a previous engine in this car). It turns out I'm not going to be able to use that pan. I have another with the doghouse, but not the additional capacity. It goes on tonight along with the oil cooler and such. Subframe and engine comes out of the car tomorrow. I'm trying to have it back in and running by September 7th, so I have time to shake it down before the VCOA National in SLO on September 20th.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My '06 has been a back up to take to the show if I didn't get the 850 done. The Pioneer I had installed in it had a problem occur that was under warranty and I've been waiting weeks for the repaired, with Pioneer dragging their feet on getting the parts. The place I bought it from has been great all along keeping me posted on the progress, but got tired of waiting for the repaired unit to be returned from Pioneer and has taken it upon themselves to send me another unit free of charge and they'll take up the issue with Pioneer. This is customer service above and beyond. If you ever need a car stereo they have been competitive on price, but their customer service puts them above the rest in my book A big thumb ups to Drive In Auto Stereo in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Had to use a different pan. Got it all buttoned up this morning.

Since I'm using the oil cooler I had to modify the block, by drilling out the NPT drain hole to .625 for use with the later o-ring type water return tube.

It didn't quite line up right so I cut off the tab.

Welded the bracket where I needed it to be.

Added a bracket to hold it in place and welded it to the water tube with a nut welded on the back side for ease of installation. That's better.

Brought the car in and started the dis assembly portion of the event.

Checking out the fresh new rims. Custom powder coated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That's good info/detail on the coolant tube for the RN oil cooler.

I've been contemplating an RN pan swap on my '97T5 when I drop things to do a manual swap. Since I'll be leaving the engine in the car, I'll probably put together something that makes use of the existing NPT threaded hole.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey CJ, how much do this new rims weight? Or more specificity, how much lighter are they than Pegs?
I assume you got 18’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 49 Posts