SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Keep the "XC90" or, name it something new?

• Keep XC90

Votes: 35 92.1%
  • New Name

Votes: 3 7.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving to work and went by a half-dozen of the previous generation XC90's. It crossed my mind that this new XC90 is so drastically different that I had to wonder if the name XC90 was a mistake? I am new to the Volvo brand, had a pretty specific requirement set when shopping for SUV's, and would never have considered this vehicle if it were not for the dramatic changes. It is so very different that I wonder if Volvo missed an opportunity to end-of-life the XC90 name and attract even more customers by not associating the new with the old. That said, since I was not previously a Volvo enthusiast or loyalist or whatever you want to call someone attached to their older generation XC90, perhaps there was such admiration for the XC90 that is would have been damaging NOT to have the XC90 name attached to the new SPA 2016 version. So I ask the question, would you prefer a new name for your 2016 XC90 or keep it the same?

·
Registered
218 Posts
If the old XC90 were somehow unpopular then yes. But it was a very successful vehicle. You build on that brand rather than trying to recreate it. For example, some of the early articles said something like, "the old XC90 won our SUV of the year award when it was introduced over a decade ago." If you choose a new name they can't say things like that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The generations are enough alike to make rebranding too confusing. Plus, the old XC90 was pretty successful.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good stuff... Agree with the logic above. Would be curious to know if any responders are previously existing Volvo or XC90 owners. Just curious about this more than anything, and also Volvo's ability to attract new customers in a perhaps different segment or with different requirements (who may not have considered the XC90 or Volvo in the past).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Bought my wife a XC60 in late 2013 and we test-drove a XC90. The technology and interior were dated and really lacking compared to their newer offerings.
Even then, the salesperson said the redesign was in the works and was supposed to be amazing.

Like others have already said - XC90 was a ground-breaking Volvo product when it was first introduced. It really put Volvo on the map for many buyers.
This XC90 does the same thing - puts another stake in the ground behind the XC90 brand.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
This is the new born XC90 Jr. Very clear to me. It is same phenomenal, and will grow to same or even bigger market than the senior XC90. No need to change name.

If after 5 years this Jr. XC90 grows to more than single SUV models (if possible), and numbers from 10-90 are almost used up, then it may be time to give them different names.

I bet there will be no XC100 for example. :) And probably no XC90 Jr. II after 10 years.
So a new name could be needed in future.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Up until beginning of this year we seriously wanted to order another X5 until I found out about the all new XC90 & the rest is history lol :heart: :D Never even considered the older XC90, didn't like the "outdated look" sorry :p So Volvo will gain another former BMW customer!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up until beginning of this year we seriously wanted to order another X5 until I found out about the all new XC90 & the rest is history lol :heart: :D Never even considered the older XC90, didn't like the "outdated look" sorry :p So Volvo will gain another former BMW customer!
:thumbup::thumbup:

Never considered the older one either. Maybe a better poll would have been simply to see "net new" Volvo customers that have come onboard with this next generation XC90... New owners that came from other brands into Volvo because the new generation release. That would be more interesting actually.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup:

Never considered the older one either. Maybe a better poll would have been simply to see "net new" Volvo customers that have come onboard with this next generation XC90... New owners that came from other brands into Volvo because the new generation release. That would be more interesting actually.
So just create another poll :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
Personally I like the European automaker naming conventions when they're consistently applied.

E.g., it used to be that BMW had three cars: 3-series, 5-series, 7-series. And the X5 was the SUV on the 5-series chassis and the X3 was the SUV on the 3-series chassis. Now they've upped the count and added coupes and whatnot, but generally the naming convention is generally consistent (grand coupe models notwithstanding).

Audi's naming is clear. Mercedes is redoing their naming to make things more clear. C-class, with SUV version called GLC. E-class with SUV version called GLE. S-class with SUV version called GLS.

Similarly, Volvo's naming convention seems consistent and decipherable. Don't mess with it.

S90 for the largest sedan.
V90 for the largest wagon.
XC90 for the largest SUV.

All on the same sized chassis.

Consistency is very valuable.

If you don't believe me, try to tell me what combination of alphabet soup noodles represent the small/midsize Acura sedans over the last decade or what the hell any infiniti vehicle is called...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
A corvette is always a corvette. That is the goodness when the model is so outstanding and got a permanent name. XC90 is kind of permanent now but not most human friendly. 60 and 40 series on the other hand is still merely kind of cold numbers.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would like the names of the vehicles to be associatiated with the Norse gods.

T6 and T8 doesn't work if there are only 4 cylinders.

Highlander for the Toyota works well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The XC90 name definitely still works. For any brand including Volvo to get SUV lightning to strike twice in a little over 10 years on the same model is a testiment to pushing the crossover SUV envelope.

Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
You bring up an interesting point. The XC90 name does have a lot of goodwill and recognition attached to it. However, since Volvo is just beginning the process of re-branding and re-imagining their fleet, I think that it might have been the right time to rename their flagship vehicle. The only issue with that is, the rest of their vehicles are named using the letter/number combination, and so you would probably be creating some confusion if you went off the beaten path with that naming convention.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The XC90 name definitely still works. For any brand including Volvo to get SUV lightning to strike twice in a little over 10 years on the same model is a testiment to pushing the crossover SUV envelope.

Mike
What he said......

·
Registered
174 Posts
Absolutely no change was required. If ain't broke don't fix it.

Mercedes have confused one and all with the change of the ML to the GL (whatever) class.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Mercedes have confused one and all with the change of the ML to the GL (whatever) class.
It's actually GLE lol :D

The worst for me with model name change was Infinity :facepalm: :thumbdown: I'm still lost on the sedan vs the SUV name!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts