SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a longtime P80/P2 owner. I've only worked 5-cyl Volvos.

I'm now looking at some P3 S60 and V60 T6 R-Designs with the inline 6. I may even go take a look at several this weekend.

Does the glove test still apply?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm a longtime P80/P2 owner. I've only worked 5-cyl Volvos.

I'm now looking at some P3 S60 and V60 T6 R-Designs with the inline 6. I may even go take a look at several this weekend.

Does the glove test still apply?
The glove test should work on any car since no engine should be pressurizing the crankcase if the PCV is functioning properly.

That said, the PCV is MUCH easier to change on these cars than it is on P80/P2 cars. There's no dismantling the intake manifold to get at a side mounted catch can with the SI6.

As sometime who came from a P80 car, I have to say that the SI6 is a spectacular engine. It's a crying shame that Geely killed it; I think that with a longer production run it could easily have been on par with the modular 5 cylinder for aftermarket support and enthusiast love.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does the PCV "glove test" apply to the 3.0L T6 engines?

As sometime who came from a P80 car, I have to say that the SI6 is a spectacular engine. It's a crying shame that Geely killed it; I think that with a longer production run it could easily have been on par with the modular 5 cylinder for aftermarket support and enthusiast love.
That engine was a “Ford era” engine made at a Ford manufacturing facility in Brigend, UK. The death of the engine is more likely from a supply agreement that ended than anything else. Ford probably said we will keep making your engines for four more years and then you are on your own when the acquisition by Geely took place.

I agree the engine is great. I have 95K worth of experience. Best engine I’ve had in a vehicle - lots and lots of smooth, refined power always available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
That engine was a “Ford era” engine made at a Ford manufacturing facility in Brigend, UK. The death of the engine is more likely from a supply agreement that ended than anything else. Ford probably said we will keep making your engines for four more years and then you are on your own when the acquisition by Geely took place.

I agree the engine is great. I have 95K worth of experience. Best engine I’ve had in a vehicle - lots and lots of smooth, refined power always available.
It was a Ford era engine, yes. But it was a Volvo design and Volvo could have continued production in their own plants if they wanted. Plus, I think Ford would have been perfectly happy to continue selling Volvo the engine - it's not as though Ford were doing it for free after all. Seems more likely to me that Geely wanted to consolidate engines, get away from either having to buy the engine from Ford or set up tooling at their own plants, and push towards improved fuel economy.

The reasons make sense, but it's still a shame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts