SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With Auto Start/Stop turned off, I notice my car shutter a bit when I come to a stop. Does the T5 engine shut off a few cylinders at stop? Or is that shudder caused by something else?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All cylinders on my T5 goes off...complete engine silence, I only hear the A/C and, perhaps, the audio system.
I believe you are describing the case when Auto Start/Stop is turned on. I’m curious about the shudder I experience when Auto Start/Stop is off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
w Start/Stop off on my T5, there is no shudder...might want to visit the Dealer, unless others chime in and have the condition you describe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
w Start/Stop off on my T5, there is no shudder...might want to visit the Dealer, unless others chime in and have the condition you describe
Maybe shudder is the wrong word. But it’s a very faint “something got turned off” sensation. It’s very faint but it’s there every time when I come to a full stop.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe shudder is the wrong word. But it’s a very faint “something got turned off” sensation. It’s very faint but it’s there every time when I come to a full stop.
can't say I experience that. I did feel like that when Start/Stop was active, but then start was a jerky movement

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think I understand what you're trying to describe. I'll take a stab at it.

*in normal comfort mode
*start/ stop has been disabled
*after coming to a full stop, you can feel the car idling..
*then one or two seconds later (still at a full stop) the engine idle feels nearly nonexistent. As if something had "shut down". The car gets uber quiet which is nice.
*the auto climate control doesn't feel any less effective.

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I understand what you're trying to describe. I'll take a stab at it.

*in normal comfort mode
*start/ stop has been disabled
*after coming to a full stop, you can feel the car idling..
*then one or two seconds later (still at a full stop) the engine idle feels nearly nonexistent. As if something had "shut down". The car gets uber quiet which is nice.
*the auto climate control doesn't feel any less effective.

Does that sound right?
Yeah sounds about right. I wouldn’t say I notice a decrease in noise when this happens. Though definitely a slight decrease in vibration.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Yeah sounds about right. I wouldn’t say I notice a decrease in noise when this happens. Though definitely a slight decrease in vibration.
Agreed on the decrease in vibration. It's a good thing I suppose.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
If one cylinder is shut off, it would shake like crazy, same as misfire.

If two cylinders are shut off, well, I don't know if it would stall or not. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe the transmission partially disengages in all modes other than dynamic to reduce drivetrain vibration. This may be what you are feeling. I notice it in my car, particularly after Polestar has increased the idle in dynamic mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm with DXC40, once you understand that the computer disengages the transmission at a stop, you'll train your feeling and expect the nudge.

·
Registered
530 Posts
With Auto Start/Stop turned off, I notice my car shutter a bit when I come to a stop. Does the T5 engine shut off a few cylinders at stop? Or is that shudder caused by something else?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
I know what you are referring to. I can feel it happen in my 2016 S60 T5 and in my 2019 XC90 T6. I don't know what it is tho. I think it definitely is something turning off and on tho, because even with Auto Start/Stop turned off there's still a slight waiting period before the car starts moving and I feel the vibration again, after you let your foot off the brake. Also, I think this is a normal feature, I've felt the same thing while driving an MB GLC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts