SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been covered before, but search engine is down.<p>I'll be replacing current tires in a few months and am facing the "all seasons" v. "dedicated summer/winter" dilemma. Local tireshop who I've been using for years is hyping "siping" tires for additional wet/snow traction. If siping does what it promises to do, I might be able to get away with the "all seasons" option (I'm in a northern climate, but we don't usually get much snow).<p><br>Anybody have their tires siped? How did it work out - do you think it made much of a difference?<p>

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Does siping help? (canuck-R)

Siping is cutting the tread with a very thin blade, and the cut runs across the tread, and probably goes down to half of the tread depth, but not sure on that last part. Purpose is to get the tread to have small voids, which help in wet traction, and probably a bit in snow. Very popular here in Seattle area. Had tires siped a number of times, but each time it was a different brand. Seemed to give a bit better traction, and I certainly noticed the lack of siping when the tread wore down a bit and the siping was gone. Of course, some tires get harder when the tread wears, and that may have accounted for the difference.<p>People I've trusted say it is worth getting.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>canuck-R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably been covered before, but search engine is down.<p>I'll be replacing current tires in a few months and am facing the "all seasons" v. "dedicated summer/winter" dilemma. Local tireshop who I've been using for years is hyping "siping" tires for additional wet/snow traction. If siping does what it promises to do, I might be able to get away with the "all seasons" option (I'm in a northern climate, but we don't usually get much snow).<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>How much snow do you get? Dod you drive yoru R in sthe snow often, or can you leave it at home?<p>I've never siped a set of tires that I had, but I've had several sets that came with some serious siping. Mostly snow tires, but the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons that I have on now have a good bit of siping on them stock.<p>IMO, if you're not super hardcore, if yo u don't get a lot of snow, and if you can occasionally leave the R home (switch with spouse, etc), a good performance all season is the way to go. Do my Pilot Sport A/S's sufer some performance loss versus a Pilot Sport P2? Sure. Do I ever notice. Nope.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Does siping help? (needsdecaf)

Thanks for the comments.<p>Don't get a lot of snow here (northern Alberta) and what we get is very "dry", which tends to make traction less an issue. V70-R replaced an S60 with all seasons and I never had snow traction issues with that car, so I'm leaning towards all-seasons for the v70-R as well. Just curious about whether siping the all-seasons might be the way to go.<p>BTW, I actually drove the V70-R in (very atypical) heavy snow for a couple of days on the near-bald OEM Pirellis without incident, but definitely wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I Drive about 100,000kms per year and am now on my 5th set of Nokian WR's available at Kal Tire. I ran them on my old V70 AWD and they have been very good on my R. They are an All Weather tire rated at 80,000 K And meet or exceed the winter rating as well as the summer. I have had a few blow outs but it is the only tire I have found that goes all 4 Canadian seasons and keeps it's balance through out the life of the tire. I had trouble in the past with Pirelli, Michillin, BF Goodrich staying in balance. I am a Vibration nut and won't tolerate wiggle in the wheel especially at high speed.<p>Thx Dave

·
Banned
373 Posts

No.<p>Think about spinning your tires and taking a razor blade and randomly slicing the tread haphazardly. Is there some engineering here? <p>The Tire Rack highly recommends not to sipe any tires, for any reason. If you need more wet/snow traction, I would suggest buy a tire that better suites your needs. Rather than destroying your tires, and voiding your warranty.<p>Shops that endorse this, are just adding profit to their bottom line at your expense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts