SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't figure this out. When I turn off the car, open the door, radio shuts off (as it should). Sometimes when I approach the car or pop open the door to grab something (WITHOUT restarting car) radio turns on, but also stays on even if I close the door or step away. That does not seem like a good idea battery-wise.

Is there some logic to the system I am missing on how to configure or use the current state?

This and the locking/not locking issue are definitely the 2 biggest things that drive me crazy!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think citivas has experienced this..

Jk that's an understatement. Search for his earlier threads that outline this and the contentious logic at play. For now, unless you read through everything and have a good sense of how the system can run on its own, it's a good idea to make sure you lock the doors which should power down everything as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw this thread: Citivas. He has this nailed down pretty well as to what happens when what action is performed involving shutting down, door open, closed, armed etc.

·
Registered
415 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...12#post2571612

"My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off. "

From: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233607-VolvoXC90Inscription%92s-Thread

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lovely
I hope Volvo is aware of this one! Seems a fix is in order here lest we all have dead batteries!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yep, and this glitch (though a few people here insist it's a "feature") continues to occasionally plague me even though I have modified my behavior to usually avoid it. I really hope they fix it in the November software update though I am not holding my breath. In the meantime the simple fixes are to either always lock your doors (which triggers the shut down of the radio and screen) or to make a habit of never going back in your car (to get things, etc.) from the drivers door -- none of the other doors triggers it. Once you trigger it, the only way to shut it down is to either lock the doors or to start up the engine and then turn it off again. Volvo provides no means (logically turning the start/stop knob, etc.) to shut it down otherwise.

In terms of the battery drain, you are correct to be concerned. The radio does not turn itself off in this condition as far as I can tell, ever. I have observed it at least mid-20 minutes in the worst case and only got it off by locking the doors. The next day the car complained it had a low battery charge before use.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Does the radio have an on/off switch?
No.

It does have a volume mute which some people say is the equivalent. But that mute does not affect the screen (which independent of the mute will mostly time out (i.e. go blank) after a while if the engine is off but is still backlit) nor does it stop drawing power to seek satellite signal, etc.

·
Registered
568 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...12#post2571612

"My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off. "

From: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233607-VolvoXC90Inscription%92s-Thread
Been noticing my radio seems to come on if you open any door or the trunk. Can't find any way to turn it off once it's on.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Been noticing my radio seems to come on if you open any door or the trunk. Can't find any way to turn it off once it's on.
Try locking the car using the key fob or the door sensors -- that usually turns the radio off. And that's the only way. As designed, there is no "off" for the radio. You can "pause" which just mutes the volume but not turn it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts