SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I seem to remember the CD-based system needing different CDs for different parts of the country. I was playing with my father's S80's system. He just got the car and I was trying to teach him to use it. We went to plug in a town (Hershey, PA) and it was not listed.

I was shocked. Hershey isn't all that big, but I've seen smaller towns on that system before. Is it possible he has the wrong CD (west coast?, the car was sold in Michigan and used in CA before we got it), and just has very basic listings for the east coast? It seemed very odd to me that several towns in PA didn't come up.

Then last night, I took a road trip with a 75thAnn S80 that I've been playing with and its DVD system. I was able to find a smaller town than Hershey with no problems. What's up?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD ([email protected])

George,

it is quite possible that your thinking is right...We had a couple of Michigan S80s turned in (by Ford executives that retired here) and their Nav systems were "confused"....I can't believe that Hershey was not listed...

Call Navtech and see if there is a free upgrade (perhaps the previous owner never picked it up). Otherwise, it will set your father back by $140 plus shipping.

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD (GrecianVolvo)

This is exactly that Yannis. This car was a Michigan S80 that migrated to Irvine with the Lincoln employee who owned it.

From looking at the Navtech site, http://www.navtech.com , it would appear that Michigan is Map 2, and California Map 9. For the North East, I need Map 1. I need to get into that car and check which CD it has.

Where's that CD housed? In the trunk I'm guessing.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD ([email protected])

quote:

Where's that CD housed? In the trunk I'm guessing.
Yes, the CD-ROM is probably located insie the Nav system device which is inside the service access panel on the left side of the trunk.

Yannis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis,
Is this the company that the XC90 will be getting their VNS maps from? Who is the product made by? DestinAtor™ ? I would like to study up on this before I pick up my XC90. I can't find any particular info on the Volvo website.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD (Sparky)

quote:

Yannis,
Is this the company that the XC90 will be getting their VNS maps from? Who is the product made by? DestinAtor™ ? I would like to study up on this before I pick up my XC90. I can't find any particular info on the Volvo website.
Jody,

although I am not sure as to who is manufacturing the XC90's Navigational System, I can tell you for sure that Navtech supplies the data in the DVD. Apparently, they supply the data for the Nav systems found in cars made by Acura, BMW, Citroen, Jaguar, Land Rover, Oldsmobile, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault and, naturally, Volvo.

They also supply data to Siemens, Motorola, Avis, Alpine, Magellan, Clarion, Pioneer, OnStar, Visteon, Fujitsu, Hertz, etc.

I will try to find out as to who is the manufacturer and will post here.

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: Does My NAV Have the Correct CD (Sparky)

quote:

Yannis,
The Nav system is made by MELCO (Mistubishi Electronics Corp.) and the DVD is from NavTech.

-Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts