SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is offering the factory scheduled maintenance between 40K-100K for xc90 for $2200 plus tax. Do you think this worth the price?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What does it cover beyond regular oil change and fluid change? Are brake pad/rotors covered? I cannot think anything else. Timing belt? And can you use it in other dealership if you moved?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. Wear items are extra and the combo is $3600. I also don't think the prepaid maintenance could be used in another dealership not under the same franchise.

What does it cover beyond regular oil change and fluid change? Are brake pad/rotors covered? I cannot think anything else. Timing belt? And can you use it in other dealership if you moved?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
There are different levels of repair/maintanance. Some include wear and tear and others don't. You need to ask for more information regarding coverage....

Is the coverage transferable? What if you move?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I don't think so. Wear items are extra and the combo is $3600. I also don't think the prepaid maintenance could be used in another dealership not under the same franchise.
Usually these packages include wear and tear. Additionally, the Volvo Free Scheduled Maintenance packages are honored at any authorized Volvo retailer.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Make sure you are being quoted the Volvo Safe + Secure prepaid maintenance. Each year of coverage offers 1) prepaid maintenance only and 2) Prepaid Maintenance + wear and tear. For $225, There is the optional wear and tear coverage option to the 3-year complimentary prepaid maintenance.

After the complimentary 3 years, the cost seems to average in the $800-$900 a year (assuming 10K miles per year). The average cost goes down to about $550 per year once you sign up for up to 8 years (which includes the initial 3 years).

At any rate, the prepaid coverage + wear and tear can be added after the sale but you are on the hook for the initial x miles that you drove without the coverage. With the longer coverage (e.g., 5 years or more), there is some extended warranty coverage included. This pricing and options for extended warranty and prepaid maintenance could be greatly simplified if combo pricing were offered. From what I understand, it can be used at any Volvo-approved service center and it is transferable with the ownership of that VIN to a new owner as it is attached to the VIN just like the extended warranty.

Personally, I am still on the fence as to any extended prepaid maintenance. I plan to get the $225 wear and tear rider (which does include brake pads, rotors and seems to only exclude tires for the most part). I may also add one more year for another $770, but I have yet to convince myself. Beyond that, I do not see enough value unless there is a significant discount when purchased with in combo with the VIP extended warranty plan.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Make sure you are being quoted the Volvo Safe + Secure prepaid maintenance. Each year of coverage offers 1) prepaid maintenance only and 2) Prepaid Maintenance + wear and tear. For $225, There is the optional wear and tear coverage option to the 3-year complimentary prepaid maintenance.

After the complimentary 3 years, the cost seems to average in the $800-$900 a year (assuming 10K miles per year). The average cost goes down to about $550 per year once you sign up for up to 8 years (which includes the initial 3 years).

At any rate, the prepaid coverage + wear and tear can be added after the sale but you are on the hook for the initial x miles that you drove without the coverage. With the longer coverage (e.g., 5 years or more), there is some extended warranty coverage included. This pricing and options for extended warranty and prepaid maintenance could be greatly simplified if combo pricing were offered. From what I understand, it can be used at any Volvo-approved service center and it is transferable with the ownership of that VIN to a new owner as it is attached to the VIN just like the extended warranty.

Personally, I am still on the fence as to any extended prepaid maintenance. I plan to get the $225 wear and tear rider (which does include brake pads, rotors and seems to only exclude tires for the most part). I may also add one more year for another $770, but I have yet to convince myself. Beyond that, I do not see enough value unless there is a significant discount when purchased with in combo with the VIP extended warranty plan.
Please keep us posted on what plan(s) you eventually decide to purchase.....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Usually these packages include wear and tear. Additionally, the Volvo Free Scheduled Maintenance packages are honored at any authorized Volvo retailer.
Thanks for the useful information.....

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Please keep us posted on what plan(s) you eventually decide to purchase.....
As of now, I opted for the $225 wear and tear for the 3 year complimentary period as a precaution on a T8. I may yet opt for 4 years, but I have two weeks before i decide. I learned today that the warranty and extended warranty mostly covers recalls, service bulletins and technical journals so I am less concerned about wear and tear in the initial years.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As of now, I opted for the $225 wear and tear for the 3 year complimentary period as a precaution on a T8. I may yet opt for 4 years, but I have two weeks before i decide. I learned today that the warranty and extended warranty mostly covers recalls, service bulletins and technical journals so I am less concerned about wear and tear in the initial years.
I would think that the most common use of wear and tear would be brake pads which might need to be replaced within 3 years depending on your mileage/habits. Short of that, I am not sure where you would spend it in the first three years. (Wiper blades?)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would think that the most common use of wear and tear would be brake pads which might need to be replaced within 3 years depending on your mileage/habits. Short of that, I am not sure where you would spend it in the first three years. (Wiper blades?)
I had both wiper blade and brake pads covered at n/c under my initial included maintenance on my S60 (48 months/45K miles).....

So these items are included along with scheduled maintenance with the XC90 for 36 months/36K miles, correct???

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I had both wiper blade and brake pads covered at n/c under my initial included maintenance on my S60 (48 months/45K miles).....

So these items are included along with scheduled maintenance with the XC90 for 36 months/36K miles, correct???
No, they are not. They are "wear" items. You probably have Safe+Secure attached to your car, which covers wear items such as those you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
No, they are not. They are "wear" items. You probably have Safe+Secure attached to your car, which covers wear items such as those you mentioned.
Okay....thanks for the clarification. My misunderstanding......

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can the plan like VIP extended warranties be purchased at any Volvo dealership?

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is a simple question. Request the selling dealership to give you a copy of the contract (not brochure or some ad material). Read the stipulations, and then purchase. If all its providing is some routine maintenance I`d invest it in a Volvo warranty

·
Registered
580 Posts
Typically maintenance programs are not worth it, but it all depends on your unique situation. As stated above, I would advise to buy a transferable extended warranty instead. Who knows what issues will pop up on the new XC90 once the original warranty is over.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Typically maintenance programs are not worth it, but it all depends on your unique situation. As stated above, I would advise to buy a transferable extended warranty instead. Who knows what issues will pop up on the new XC90 once the original warranty is over.
Good point.....lots of decisions to consider and LOTS of choices!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.